Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Connecting to My Wireless

• Please log in to reply

MyDyingAutumn

MyDyingAutumn

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hey all, I'm trying to get into my wireless connection. I can see it as one of the available networks to use when I inserted my router, but it's locked and needs a network key. However, I don't have one, I never set it up. All I can think of is I used it a few years back for a multiple ethernet connection router, not wireless, and someone must've picked it up and secured it. My router is a Westell 327w Versalink. It has dsl on it, but my modem isn't dsl. It's an arris modem with cable hookup, phone line, and Ethernet. It's powerd by road runner. My operating system is HP/windows xp home edition, sp2 and IE 7. I had problems getting the ip right from my modem, so i bridged my connections and i got it. however, when i tried to set it up, the dsl wouldn't sync. I don't know what to do. I see my router in the wireless connections, but i can't get into it. is there a way to get into it or reinstall or restore it another way? is not having a dsl connection into it going to ultimately stop me from getting into or no? right now, i have my modem directly to this laptop and the router is on by itself, i can still see it as an optional choice for wireless.

Any help and suggestion will be more than appreciate it. I really need to get this running wireless.
Thank you!!

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
you should be able to connect your computer via ethernet to the router's ethernet ports...

once you get an ip address from the router press start, then run, then type "cmd" (without the quotes) then "Ipconfig /all" (without the quotes), in the list that comes up you should see a section that says "default gateway" put that ip address into your web browser....that should pull up the router's management interface

MyDyingAutumn

MyDyingAutumn

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
See, i did do that, however when it game me the log in thing, i had to put in a name and a password. I remember someone saying leave the name blank and the pass was admin, but i was forced to put a name, and i put the pass admin, so when i did thta, it tried syncing the router, but it failed at the end, and i think it's because i don't have dsl plugged into it.