Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

unable to disconnect or repair my wireless connection

• Please log in to reply

Caseyb

Caseyb

• PipPip
  • 85 posts
Hello,

I recently came across a problem with my wireless connection. I use Windows to manage my wireless connections. I found that my wireless goes in and out quite often, but if I simply use windows to repair my connection, I am able to connect. Recently, though, I am not able to repair the connection or even disconnect. When I right click the wireless connection icon and click repair I get an error message stating "Windows cannot finish repairing the problem because the following action cannot be completed: Disabling the wireless network adapter. Make sure your network adapter is properly installed."
I am using windows XP. I have an Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG and have the latest driver installed. Does anyone have any suggestions of how to correct this problem or how to keep my connection in the first place?

Thank you.

Advertisements

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Sounds like interference to me. You are probably on the default channel. Which is 6 or 11 if your with belkin or netgear . It broadcasts frequency waves throughout your house. But, other networks around your neighborhood, can be interfering with your home network because they dont bother to change their wireless channel and leave the router settings at default which is very dangerous to the network owner. What I would recommend is to go to your routers settings, change your encryption to the best one ( Don't use WEP, its very hackable.) WPA Personal , PSK or WPA2 are good so use that if its applicable. I would also just change your broadcast name just to be safe and to change the channel to at least 1 or 9. I use 9 because no one around my neck of the woods uses it. But if you change the settings in your router settings, you will definitely see a improvement in your wireless network. You will probably get a drop here and there or none at all. Take my words for advice because I personally was in the same situation as you are currently now.

If you have any questions, feel free to post back :whistling:

Caseyb

Caseyb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
Thank you. I do believe that could be the reason my connection keeps dropping. I went in and changed the channel and I think it is helping. As for the other issue I am having, do you have any suggestions as to why I am unable to disconnect/repair my wireless connection? I also noticed I am not able to repair/disable my wired connection as well.

Thanks for your help.

Caseyb

Caseyb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
I forgot to mention that I previously had WPA-PSK enabled and still do. I did read beforehand that it was the best applicable way to set up a connection.