Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

AIM video chat help!

• Please log in to reply

• PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
I got my new laptop and it has an integrated webcam (sweeeet) and my girlfriend just got hers today which also has one. Now I live in michigan and she lives in illinois (and weev been dating for a year) and since were both broke college students we cant really get to eachother very often and text messaging and IM only goes so far when paired with phone calls lol. So i was excited (as you could understand) at the idea of video messaging so we could actually talk face to face more often! So stoked to get this set up we opened AIM (AOL Instant Messenger) which has a built in video chat function, and connected but to no avail. mine says that my cameras being used by another program and that to procede i have to close that program. I assumed that it was the camera assistant software that allows me easy access to my camera but nope it wasnt. so I dunno waht to do and were both pretty pissed at this point lol. So if anyone could lend a hand thatd be amazing. Anything to see her face right? lol

Thanks in advance everyone!

Edited by 11010110, 10 September 2007 - 08:56 PM.

Advertisements

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
now when i open the camera on my computer the way id do it to make a pic or vid it doesnt say its being used by another program but it doesnt show the video of either person.... sigh... lol

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
I would recommend skype. skype is awesome and its really good quality when it comes from the mic and its less laggy than AIM video is. Plus AIM video causes aim to crash usually.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
Thanks a whole lot! Skype is amazing and everything is working perfectly!

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Really! Awesome! Glad I could help you out. Enjoy skype :whistling: