Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP freezes at setup

• Please log in to reply

kallykate

kallykate

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi, my computer gave me a warning last night about having spyware and threats. So I ran a few spyware scans in safe mode. No matter what scans l ran, the computer still operated at 100% meaning that something was using up the whole CPU. So l did one last scan with AVG to check for viruses this time. l ran it over night and when l woke up l found my computer on a black screen saying something like "Reboot or use booting device" (not exactly, but close enough) So l dug up my windows XP CD that came with my computer ages ago. l ran it and it took me to a blue screen saying that gave me 3 options: Enter to install Windows XP, R to repair Windows XP, and F6 to quit setup. My hopes were crushed there when l found that l couldnt hit any of them at all. The computer is frozen! I thought maybe its just taking a long time to load. But upon hearing other people's problems, l realise that its not gonna happen. lve tried searching this site for other users that have encountered and solved this problem, but all lve found are people who have had it and have NOT solved it yet. Maybe l wasnt looking deep enough, but someone help me please. :whistling: Im typing this from school, but I will have access to the internet from my brother's comp at home, so l will check back then.

Advertisements

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
For more detail if you take out the XP cd, and start the computer what happens?

kallykate

kallykate

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Actually, there's no problem with it now o_O For some reason, it started up miraculously once I got home and tried it again. So maybe it just needed a few tries. A bit of cleanup and my comp is fine now :whistling: Thanks anyway though. And this time I learned to back up everything since I had a face with computer mortality -.-

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
Glad its working for you now :whistling: