Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP freezes when I use multimedia buttons on inspiron 6400. Alt+tab has

• Please log in to reply

Dominicc2003

Dominicc2003

• PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
Basically I installed a program called "vistamizer" which makes your XP look like vista. It changed lots of DLLs but said it had a backup and a restoring uninstall. After a while (meaning this might not be vistamizer's fault), the computer would partially freeze if I pressed a multimedia button (on the front of my laptop - consists of volume change, skip song etc). When I say partial freeze I mean I can use Ctrl+Alt+Delete and use the windows key, but I can't use anything else on the keyboard or CLICK with the mouse. I have to hold the off button to turn the computer off and then start up again! I uninstalled vistamizer, it restored the edited DLLs and then I did a system restore to days before the problem occured (also days before i installed vistamizer) - THE PROBLEM IS STILL THERE!! Also, Alt+tab doesn't work now :whistling:

Thanks,
Dom

P.S. I'm 99.9% sure that I don't have any malware on my PC.
P.P.S. - The problem didn't happen straight after I installed vistamizer
P.P.P.S. - It started quite soon after I installed sandboxie (which was about 14hrs after vistamizer.)

Advertisements

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
I would get your XP install CD, go to Start -> Run ->type "sfc /scannow" without the quotes and hit OK. Let that run through and put in the CD when prompted.

Dominicc2003

Dominicc2003

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
I don't have an XP install CD and neither does anyone in my house:
1 on vista, all the rest are LAPTOPS with XP on - meaning no CDs