Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

leaving PC on 16 hours a day?

• Please log in to reply

demirkol

demirkol

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
what is the side effects for this?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Your electricity bill will go up but apart from that, you can leave the computer on until the cows come home, it really doesn't matter.

demirkol

demirkol

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
ok thanks but one more question if my PC was set to last me lets say 10 years if I leave my PC on for long hours would that bring that 10 years down?

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
There are too many factors to say what the end result is. if you don't have conditioned power and/or a temperature controlled environment, then it could dramatically reduce the life of the computer. Turning it off and on will also shorten the life.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
lots of things to think about here,

- is it a desktop, perhaps you could use a laptop instead which would reduce the cost and would switch to its own power in case of a quick power-flicker
- if it is a desktop and overnight, perhaps you could turn off he screen,
- if you live in an area where there are storms, it would be better not to leave the computer connected(lightning)
- if it is a laptop, one could take out the battery, but that would make it vunrable to power fluctuations and flickers

I think that a lot of older computers can be used for guard duty like monitoring the system or running as server, in fact some of the older computers I feel are more robust than their newer counterparts, and since their function is usually simple there life can be very long but please remember to open up the case one in a while because being left to run the dust builds up inside and start to clog things, just use a dry air can extract the dust build up

Edited by fleamailman, 12 September 2007 - 12:58 AM.

demirkol

demirkol

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
Its a desktop PC I always switch off the screen when im not using it. For the lightning thing cant i get a different power supply where when a lightning does hit the computer turns off or something like that

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
the trouble with lighting is that the power can come through the lan or the modem link but anyway this is off topic and was just that I live in a very storm prone area and know many people who have had the system fried, so the suggestion was to not have ones best computer doing guard duty

demirkol

demirkol

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
I live in Melbourne and we dont get much lightnings. But i'm curious there isnt a way to stop the damages done by lightning?

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi fellow Aussie!

You can get power surge protectors, but the good ones are expensive (around $80 or so). I have a $10 cheapie from Bunnings that sits at the wall in case of some kind of short-out, but I always completely disconnect the power cables from the wall when there's a storm. Completely pulling the cord out will stop the damages done by lightning.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
yes and no, you can get things that cut the current but that doesn't stop the computer getting a shock from the either the lan or the modem connection, geneva is next to the mountains so the climate range is acute,

Edited by fleamailman, 12 September 2007 - 05:05 AM.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
It appears that they have surge protectors for your ethernet and phone line as well: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817106223.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
thanks, I might buy one then