Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help with networking on win xp

• Please log in to reply

emaan9301

emaan9301

• PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
I just updated my children's computer and now it doesn't show a network connection. I use a belkin router and that computer connects through a wireless port as it does not have a direct connection port on it. I had no problems with the connection before upgrading it and when I go to the my network places it shows the other shared files and folders but i'm unable to access them. When I tried to set up a new network connection it wanted me to set up an internet connection. I'm not sure what i'm doing wrong or how to get it back on the network, if anyone can help me I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thank you,

Jennifer

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
Give This tutorial by SpaceCowboy706 a read, it's got just about everything you'd need to know.

emaan9301

emaan9301

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
Thank you for posting, I failed to mention in my post last night that I had read that tutorial before posting to make sure I had everything hooked up right but I still can't get this pc to connect to the network. My husband noticed that both that pc and the router have usb ports last night (after I made this post) and he is going to try and get me a usb cable today to see if we can connect it through that. If that works i'll post back here and let you know. I'm just confused as to why the wireless card will no longer work when it worked fine before the upgrade.

I must have really been frazzled when I made that post last night, I failed to mention also that the update was from windows me to windows xp.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
....ok...have you updated the drivers for the wireless card? alot of ME drivers are NOT compatible with XP

emaan9301

emaan9301

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
How do I do that? I can't get on the internet with it so i'm not sure where to find the drivers to update them.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
on the computer you're on now...go to the manufacturer's website (if this is a prebuilt computer....like a dell or hp then go to the dell or hp site and enter the model number of teh computer) and download the driver

emaan9301

emaan9301

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
I can do that but how am I going to get it onto that computer. The one i'm on now doesn't have a s.5 disk drive and I don't have any cd's to burn it to.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
weeeelll...hehe you'd need to get some cd's or a flash drive or something

emaan9301

emaan9301

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
Thanks. I'll see if my husband can pick some up tonight on his way home from work.

emaan9301

emaan9301

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
Thanks, I dl the driver and installed it on that computer and it seems to be working fine now. When my husband came home last night and brought the usb cord, that didn't even help with hooking it straight to the modem. So far so good, it is back on the network and back on the web, thanks so very much for helping me.