Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

hard drive needs formatting?

• Please log in to reply

Farntet

Farntet

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I was searching through my 500 external gig hard drive looking for junk to clear up the space and i think i deleted something i needed. I originally took it out of its case and used it as a desktop drive but then swapped to external to transfer files. Everything was transferring good and windows recognized it fine, but i remember deleting a weird looking folder with a bunch of numbers and letters that contained something called update in the root of the drive, thinking it was one of those hidden installs of spam. I transfered a couple of movies and turned it off. I switched back to desktop and it showed up as an unformatted drive asking me if i wanted to format it. I switched back to the external and the same thing, on two different computers. If anybody has any idea of how to fix this please help! I had like 435 gigs worth of media that would suck to get lost. Thanks!

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Go to Control panel > administrative tools > computer management > disk management. Click Action > Rescan disks.

Farntet

Farntet

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I tried doing that and it scanned but it still had the same thing. It shows it not having a file system in the disk management, but on properties it says its RAW. Maybe i deleted the file system information on the disk? Is there a way to copy the info back onto it without reformatting?

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Have a look at ADRC Data Recovery. Try to restore the file tables or, if not successful, use other recovery options. I never tried this programs but it looks promising and it's free.