Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

for Harrythook - Windows XP won't boot

• Please log in to reply

allie mc

allie mc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Thanks everyone for the input. I knew it wasn't the software. I just wanted to make sure that I didn't screw it up worse or cause a hardware issue by all the hard booting and such that I was doing. It was going to happen anyway.

I'm not going to mess with the around removing the hard drive. I'll let the professionals do that.

You guys are great.

Thanks again!
:whistling:

Advertisements

Mr Freeze

Mr Freeze

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
glad to be of help

allie mc

allie mc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Hey! Guess what?!

I discovered why the machine wasn't booting - quite by accident. First of all, I'm going to invest in a pair of glasses. What I thought was the orange light with the f was actually the battery charge light (lightning bolt). So it was really telling me it didn't have enough juice in the battery when it was flashing as I was trying to boot. I started wiggling the power source connection and found that it's loose. It only charges when I hold the power source into back of the computer. I set the machine on end, pushing the power source in all the way and the light burned solid orange. So YEAH! that issue has been determined. Get a knew power source.

So now the machine is running. I'm going to try the RC disk again and get back to you.

Thanks.

allie mc

allie mc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
The RC disk ran and completed. It said "CHKDSK found and fixed one or more errors on the volume". Looks like 3.

dsenette, I'm proceeding with your instructions.

Thanks,
Allie

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
which instructions hehe? will it boot into windows now?

allie mc

allie mc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Tried - nope. Back to the blue screen. What's next?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
ok...so the owner of the laptop doesn't have any data on it that she wants to keep right? if that's the case i'd try to run those recovery disks and put the machine back to factory settings

allie mc

allie mc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Ugh. So that means I have to reinstall all of the updates from ? years ago?

Do you think this will work or it might work? Or is there a chance she'll be using this machine for a paper weight? :whistling:

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

Do you think this will work or it might work? Or is there a chance she'll be using this machine for a paper weight?

i tend to shy away from saying anything WILL work....it SHOULD work..but it's difficult (through an online forum like this) to say what the root cause is...could have bad ram could have a bad motherboard....no real way to tell from where we are...this SHOULD get the laptop back to a functional level...whether it stays that way is unpredictable

allie mc

allie mc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Update -

I've restored from the recovery disks and downloaded all the windows updates. Working now on updating antivirus software. So making progress. Keep your fingers crossed. It will be fun typing that way. :whistling:

You guys have been great as usual! Thanks a bunch for helping me.

Allie

Advertisements

Mr Freeze

Mr Freeze

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
well thats good to hear
glad you took the initative to go ahead
and install
so far things sound good

Edited by Mr Freeze, 14 September 2007 - 06:40 PM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
hope everything goes smooth...let us know