Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My Computer icon changed

• Please log in to reply

septjester42

septjester42

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
The 'My Computer' icon has changed, it now looks like a really crappy 'My Computer' icon. I have no idea how this changed, I started up the computer and noticed that it looked strange. I used a registry fix to see if that might be the problem, but it didn't come up with anything, and I went to www.kellys-korner-xp.com and reset 'My Documents' and 'My Computer' settings, then restarted. Nothing happends.:whistling:

See how 'My Computer' should look glossy like 'My Networks' I have no idea how to fix this, any help would be appreciated.
Posted Image

Advertisements

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
I suggest you try rebuilding your icon cache.

The simplest way is Tweak UI if installed. When opened, the last choice in the left-hand panel is Repair.
Once chosen, select Rebuild Icons on the right side drop-down and then push Repair Now.

Without Tweak UI, open the Display Properties dialog, either from the Display applet of the Control Panel, or by right-clicking the desktop and selecting Properties. Once open, choose the Appearance tab, and then push the Advanced button at the lower right.

Once open, this dialog will offer a drop-down box labeled "Item." Find and highlight by one left click the entry for icon. Just to the right notice that the size of current icons is displayed. (often 32). Raise or lower the number a bit, OK. Apply. OK. Then go back and restore it to the original number. OK. Apply. OK.

This should force Windows to rebuild the icon cache, and your icon graphics should display properly.

Edited by 1101doc, 13 September 2007 - 08:01 PM.

septjester42

septjester42

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Thanks a lot doc, that did the trick.

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
Love it when a plan comes together! :-)