Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

connecting to the internet

• Please log in to reply

erkeller

erkeller

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Sorry I am new to all of this but hopefully someone can give me some info. I have a sony vaio laptop and occasionally stay at my dads house or with my brother. They both have internet access and I was wondering if there was any way I could hook up to there internet while Iam staying there. I only ask this because it's easier for me because of everything already being saved on my computer, I don't have to transfer things over to their computers. Any help would be appreciated and don't worry i am not easily disappointed. Thanks!!!!!

Advertisements

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Hi, erkeller and welcome to Geeks to Go!

You need to know a few things... I'll just list the easy ones first, and we'll continue as needed.

(1) Does your family have wireless internet? What I mean is that they have their internet connection, and have a wireless router attached, so that you can jump into the network wirelessly.

(2) If your family has a router (wired or wireless) and you have an Ethernet cable, then you can plug your computer into their router and still have a connection. Only drawback is that you are bound by a wire.

(3) Does your laptop have a built-in wireless adapter?

Let me know if you need any hep obtaining any of this information :whistling:

erkeller

erkeller

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Unfortunately, not wireless, hope to be eventually just not in the plans yet. We do use Ethernet and I do have a wireless adapter, let me know if there is any other info you need.

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Well, if they don't have a wireless router, then you cannot use their network wirelessly. You could use it if you have a spare Ethernet cable and plug it into your laptop though.

erkeller

erkeller

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I did plug their ethernet cable to my laptop, however it was telling me it could not make a connection is their something i am missing?

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
I see. Does your family have a security setting enabled on the router that may be blocking you? Such settings would be MAC Address filtering, etc. Ask if you don't know yourself.