Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Accounts on PC

• Please log in to reply

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Okay. So did you go in and enable Javascript like it told you to?

Murray

Advertisements

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
I went to Internet Options, Security, Custom Level and found two things. Not sure I am in the right place however:

1 - allow scripting of IE web control which was disabled. Should this be enabled?

2 - scripting of Java applets and this was already enabled

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Enable everything under the Script/Scripting heading.

Murray

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
off to do so

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
Enabled all I could find re script/scripting. Next move?

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Are you still getting the error message?

Is there anything on your system you absolutely have to save - docs, pics, etc?

Murray

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
Yes, there is - as a teacher I have lots of school things on my PC plus rosters of attendanced I must NOT lose. Have done a restore but if something went wrong do not think that would help.

I have a large Scan Disc that I can plug in, back up everything and then unplug and keep to use for installation again. Other things like my attendance rosters will copy on paper.

What might happen?

And no more error messages so far but am not on that new account and have not been doing anything on PC until I get these accounts straightened out. Also is there a way to get to see my system admin account should I need it for some reason or must I go into registry to do that?

Off to dinner - back when finished:)

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
I'm back

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
To get to the Main System Admin, just press ctrl-alt-delete at the logon screen.

Try the new account again.

If worse comes to worse, you can copy all pertinent info and do a complete re-install of XP.

That will clean the system completely.

Murray

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
Have tried new account - set up email and few taskbar icons - so far all seems well.

I checked to make sure other accounts DJH and donnajean were standard user accounts and suddenly the system admin. account appeared on the log in screen.

Will do a complete backup tomorrow of C drive off donnajean account and then try instructions received on transferring files and favorites to new account. Keep your fingers crossed - will let you know how I make out.

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Good luck.

Murray

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
Thanks and good night. Tomorrow is another day!

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
Back again for progress udate. Have done the following in order:

1 - established a restore date - just in case
2 - did a complete back up on my backup detachable disc (scan disc)
3 - have programed the new account with needed material did not want to lose
4 - was able to import address book to Outlook Express
5 - Outlook Express still malfunctions so had to again set up and use Thunderbird as email address program - imported all addresses
6 - only thing I could not accomplish easily is to import the Favorites. Used the path C:\documents and settings\all users\Documents\ (then a favorite folder) with import wizard. Was able to import one folder but after that for some reason keep getting message "wizard cannot find this file - try again". All my favorites sit right there in the documents folder so do not understand what I am doing wrong now.

Can accomplish the transfer by having two windows open (IE and Favorite folder) and opening the bookmark and adding to IE manually but that will take some time. Have quite a few bookmarks to do such too unless you can steer me into a different route.

After favorites are moved into new account - am ready to:
delete DJH and donnajean accounts
rename my 'test account' with a new picture
password the test account

have already passworded the system admin. account and it is showing
on the login window. (prefer it that way for use if needed as I could
not get it to appear with the CAD on Welcome screen for some reason.
So if it disappears again - want to have some reliable way to get to it
if ever needed.)

Have I forgotten anything/need to adjust anything?

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Rather than trying to import them, just open the "Favorites" folder and then go to Edit and click on Select All. Once they have been highlighted, go back to Edit and click onb Copy.

Now open your new account and right click the Favorites folder and select Paste.

Murray

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
Already have the favorites in new account; problem is getting them via the IE wizard to show up. I either get 'can't find document' or 'this is not a valid bookmark' message.

Also when I go to delete accounts, the place to do so seems to have changed from what I remember. So am I in the right place here:

control userpasswords2 then navigate to local user groups and delete there? I get a warning when I try about an identifier being lost and not able to retrieve again regarding the resources of the account. Just want to make sure.