Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

admin password

• Please log in to reply

sonobby1

sonobby1

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
hey wonder if anyone can help me please.
its been a while since i tried, but i did try to do a xp repair i think a year or so ago, and im sure i ran into problems because of my admin password.
what im thinking is when i bought the comp it was from a small computer shop, and i think they set an admin [password, so if any thing went wrong i would have to take it back to them so they could fix it, for a fee of course.
the problem is i bought thic comp about 3 years ago, and since then the shop has closed, and ive no idea where they are.
so my question is can i retrieve my admin password so that i can repair xp?
thanks for any help
si

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Sorry, but without truly knowing whether you own the computer in question, it is against GTG's TOS to help anyone with password problems. I hope you understand the dilemma this would put GTG in when providing methods on how to retrieve or get around password problems.

Ron

sonobby1

sonobby1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
hi thanks for replying, and i undersand your situation. is there anyway that i can prove to you that its my comp?
thanks
si

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
The only suggestion I can make is to search for a similar problem with solutions.

Ron

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
When you say you were trying to repair, were you using recovery console and it asked for the Administrator password?

sonobby1

sonobby1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
hi wannabe, it was a long time ago, but im sure it wasnt the recovery console, it was xp repair i was trying to do
thanks
si

sonobby1

sonobby1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
thanks ron for your reply, ill have a look round , see if i can find the answer.
si

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Wannabe is Admin now, so if he chooses to help you through this, it's his decision. I got called on trying to help the last time.

Ron

sonobby1

sonobby1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
ron the last thing i want to do is get anyone in trouble, so i do understand your concerns.
its my comp, and i own a legit copy of windows xp, but at the end of the day, i can see that people would abuse your trust.
my comps never worked properly for a year or so now, but ive got by , i should save all my important stuff to discs, and format the drive, but its just getting round to it, you kinda get lazy, and just soldier on.
thanks again for your replys
si

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I asked about Recovery Console because:

1) It gives the option to Repair your computer by pressing R

and

2) It asks for the Administrator password in order to start the repair.

I thought a little clarification was in order. Leaving the Admin password blank and pressing Enter in Recovery Console will usually allow you to continue.

We still won't help with breeching the security on a machine, but in fairness, we also cannot assume that every password topic is a request for an illegal operation.

sonobby1

sonobby1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
hi , again im sure it wasnt recovery console, im sure i went through xp repair, and that was when it asked for the admin password. you have to reralise this was a while back, but im sure it was xp repair, because ive read not to go the recovery console way. also i have tried leaving the password blank, which didnt work.
thanks
si