Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP acting up: in-place repair doesn't show

• Please log in to reply

pj1115

pj1115

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
Hey

I recently had a malware problem, which is (I'm 99.5% sure) cleared now. There is nothing detected by AVG Anti-virus, Kasperky online scanner, Spybot Search & Destroy, or Super Anti-Spyware when I do a full system scan, and my registry scanner finds no errors. There is nothing unusual in my startup list, HijackThis log, and no abnormal visible processes running.

However, when I log on, several services that are set to start automatically seem to start fine, but stop after a few minutes. This happens with Windows Audio, Themes, Server, and a few others - I've been using a temporary fix with timed batch files. Also, the RPC and the Security Center/ICS service fail to start at all.

This prevents me from mounting network drives from another PC, and many other things that I need and connect to the said PC over the subnet.

In Safe Mode (with networking), everything works fine, only it stops me and everybody else from doing other things on it while it's in Safe Mode.

I've tried System Restore, only I can't go back to before this started as my system restore points are cleared regularly. I wanted to do an in-place update (repair) using this guide, so I created two slipstreamed XP+SP2 CD's using this and this guide, but neither of the CD's showed a repair option after I pass the agreement. It sees the XP installation, though.

I really want this fixed, either by getting those services fixed and my network drive stuff working without any big hassle, or by running in in-place upgrade and hopefull achieving the same.

Any ideas?

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well...i know you say you're pretty sure you're clean....but the fact that things work like they did before when you're in safe mode suggests otherwise....there's a chance that there's still something lurking around in there that's causing your network problems

Please go to the malware forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE.

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty (and you may not be) then post a hijackthis log in THE MALWARE FORUM forum.
(Posting HiJack This logs in any other forum other than the malware forum is forbidden. If you post an HJT log in any other forum, it will be removed and it will take you longer to get help, so please make sure you only post HJT logs in the malware forum)

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread..

pj1115

pj1115

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Okay, I'll give that a go, but I actually cleared my system using those exact instructions anyway, I posted in the malware forum recently, as I recall for the malware problem.

Still, I'll give it another shot and come back here when I get that done. Cheers.