Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless Gaming

• Please log in to reply

Maideen

Maideen

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Ok, I figured this is where this goes.. since i'm new here.

I currenlty play online games on my computer almost every day, and enjoy surfing the internet. However I also have a PS3 in which I also enjoy online gaming such as Resistance: Fall of Man. However, I cannot play both at once. To play I would have to take the (ethernet?) cord out of the back of the computer that went from it to the router, and instead plug it from the router to the PS3's back. I tried to use the PS3's "Scan for Wireless Source" system, but there was no points detected.

Long ago I had a wireless router that went sort of like this:
Cable Socket in Wall -> Router -> Wireless Router -> Computer

This system was mainly put in place so my mother could use her laptop at the same time that I could use my own PC. This worked, for the most part, but I had many problems with it (Random disconnections from my game, as well as random freezes of the internet). After a while the wireless router decided not work anymore, so I plugged the router directly into the back of the PC, and my mother got an 'aircard' from her company. I no longer have problems, but I also have the same old problem of switching the cables.

So now I want to get a new wireless router for gaming on both my computer and PS3 at the same time, but the terminology used in defining products online I go looking through are dreadfully confusing (I'm usually more of a software person, hardware still confuses me). I would like to know, how would I set this up, and what router should I look into? I've heard certain wireless routers don't work well with the PS3's interface.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
as a question...why can't you just get another ethernet patch cable and plug your PS3 directly into the router as well? just like your PC is?

Maideen

Maideen

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

as a question...why can't you just get another ethernet patch cable and plug your PS3 directly into the router as well? just like your PC is?

There's only one slot in the back of my router, well there is a 2nd slot but it's for a completely different sized cord that I don't know about o_O

Edit: Wait, so maybe I could buy a NORMAL router that has 2 ethernet openings in the back, and that would work for both?

Edited by Maideen, 18 September 2007 - 08:22 AM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
you could just get an ethernet hub or switch...that will give you more ethernet ports to plug into....i'd get a 4 or 5 port home switch...then you plug that into your router then the pc and ps3 to the switch

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
Are you plugging into a router or the cable modem?