Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Black screen/ Resolution

• Please log in to reply

Baho

Baho

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
Hi all,
A small problem started last night with the screen going black. Hence after that at every start up it stayed black when windows tried to start.
I have now managed to get it to start in safe mode and it also now starts in normal mode but if I try to change the resolution it wont start and the black screen of death returns.
I am therefore limited to 16 colours and 640 by 480 pixels.
I did a scanreg/fix and it determined some errrors but was unable to fix and suggested to install windows to a new directory.
SFC scan came up with no problems.
All suggestions would be appreciated.
Its a windows 98 o/s.
Regards

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
It sounds like your video drivers are corrupted, perhaps by errors on the hard disk. I would run scandisk, you can do that in safe mode, or even better in MS DOS mode where it will show a nice graphic of any errors. Since '98 is no longer supported by MS reinstalling is not a good option, you won't be able to update the system. You could move your installation to another drive and correct the problems there, but it will involve some doing.

Baho

Baho

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Hi Tyger
Ty for the suggestions. I have run scandisk and done a defrag. Also have run Norton windows cleanup. I un installed the display adaptor(driver) and downloaded a new one from Nvidia but to no avail. Cant even get to normal mode with that one and only accepts safe mode so back to the windows basic one at the moment( Standard PCI Graphics Adaptor(VGA) which only runs in 16 colours.
Also run msconfig and tried without start up items to see if any conflict etc?

Any other help would be appreciated.
Regards

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Well that's a tough one, you've pretty much rounded up the usual suspects. Do you have another video card laying around, maybe in another machine, that you can borrow and see if it will work? Starting to sound like the video hardware is not working.

Baho

Baho

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Thanks for the help.Installed a new AGP card now and all seems to work fine.