Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Used component?

• Please log in to reply

Supercalifragilistic

Supercalifragilistic

• PipPipPip
  • 404 posts
Is it okay to buy a used Video card, or would I be better off paying more for a new one? It's not like a harddrive where I don't know what's been on it, or anything, but is it possible part of it is damaged, so it will work but not properly?

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

but is it possible part of it is damaged, so it will work but not properly?

this is possible...but more likely that it's old enough to be damaged in such a way that it will fail sooner than expected

what are the specs of the used card? and how old is it? that's about the best way to see if buying it used is worth it...compare the price of the used one...to a new one of the same or similar specs

Supercalifragilistic

Supercalifragilistic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts
Okay, it doesn't matter about that now, I've found a new GeForce 6200 (don't need a really good one, just something that's not onboard), but it's DDR2 RAM. My motherboard supports DDR RAM. does that matter?

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
No, the memory on the video card is completly seperate from your system RAM. I hope your not trying to play games with that card...

Supercalifragilistic

Supercalifragilistic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts
Nope, I read that if I use onboard vram, my RAM will run at 333mhz instead of 400mhz.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
For everyday use your $50 will proably be better spent on additonal RAM. Also I had a look on newegg and they had 7300 GTs for the same price as their 6200 cards.

Supercalifragilistic

Supercalifragilistic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts
All my RAM slots are filled. I want a new video card because at the moment I have 32mb onboard Intel.

These are the ones I was looking at

http://www.dabs.com/...090000,42740000

and

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...1QQcmdZViewItem

I know both can run Aero also, incase I decide to switch to Vista when SP1 comes out.

Would they run GTA3 or Hitman Contracts with low graphics settings? My current onboard vram will play them, but sometimes Hitman has big gaps in the textures and GTA3 is actually not bad, but could be better. I don't really play any of the new games...

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
GTA III will be no problem. I was unable to find requirements for the original Hitman. I'm sure that it will work as well. If those games are your objective then you will be good. I do still recommend atleast getting a geforce 7 series card. Most likely you will be able to find one for around the price of that 6200.

The ebay link is dead. I personally don't buy computer parts off ebay. I bought my first board off of there and when I got it the RAM slots were slightly melted and the board was dead...

Supercalifragilistic

Supercalifragilistic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts
Okay, thanks for your help

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Happy to :). Sorry, foreign currancy throws me off a bit or I would pick one out to recommend.

Supercalifragilistic

Supercalifragilistic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts
http://www.dabs.com/...090000,42740000

Went with that one in the end.