Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windows xp/ norton antivirus

• Please log in to reply

latigid

latigid

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
Have you looked at the Computer Hope site?

http://www.computerh...es/ch000646.htm

Advertisements

staceykeith

staceykeith

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
The CD I was trying to use was a Dell Windows Re-installation cd and it says: This CD is not for reinstallation of programs or drivers. Is that why this CD is not working?

Missing or corrupt ntoskrnl.exe file
If the ntoskrnl.exe file is corrupt or missing this can also generate the error. To restore this file follow the below steps.

Insert the Microsoft Windows XP CD. Note: If you have a recovery CD or a restore CD and not a Microsoft Windows XP CD it is likely the below steps will not resolve your issue. Reboot the computer, as the computer is starting you should see a message to press any key to boot from the CD. When you see this message press any key.
In the Microsoft Windows XP setup menu press the R key to enter the recovery console.
Select the operating system you wish to fix, and then enter the administrator password.
Type expand d:\i386\ntoskrnl.ex_ c:\windows\system32
You will then be prompted if you wish to overwrite the file type Y and press enter to overwrite the file.
Type exit to reboot the computer.

staceykeith

staceykeith

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
http://www.spotmau.c...rchase_list.htm Can anyone tell me if this is a legit site and if I should purchase this CD or if I can get it from somewhere else?

staceykeith

staceykeith

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Ok I cleaned the CPU cooler out, now what do I do about the Windows CD? Do I need to purchase a different one since the one I have is a re-install CD and the prompts I was told to enter do not work and keep giveing the message that file can not be found, the expand d:....etc. Please let me know what I can do I am so frustrated, it is just one problem after another with this computer. Is it fixable or worth fixing or should I just work on getting a new one?

Thank you so much, :)

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
You Dell CD should work just fine so long and you follow These Instructions to do the repair.