Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Machine Check Exception

• Please log in to reply

Logis

Logis

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Hey chaps (or chapettes), since you helped me so much with my last problem, I thought I'd chuck another one at you.

I have a custom made desktop that is BSOD with Machine Check Exception but only when I try and use a specific IDE drive that I have installed.

It loads fine, you can the PC fine also but if I try and scan for errors using scandisk on this drive it crashes with the Machine Check Exception. You can access and look at the files on there but when I tried copying some off via FTP to another PC same BSOD crash occurs.

Know I'm thinking faulty harddrive but the Maxtor harddrive software scans it fine, no errors and also I tried Harddrive Renegenerator as well and that says no faults as well.

The last thing I installed to it was Activesync but when I went to deinstall it I got the same BSOD. So now I'm thinking a repair install.

Any other ideas?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
The manufacturer diagnostic software isn't always the be all and end all of the matter of the state of a drive. They don't always pick up mechanical issues, for example, or sticky heads. I would suggest scrapping this drive if its out of warranty.

Logis

Logis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Normally I would agree with you as I worked in data storage for about five years and I looked at faulty harddrives virtually everyday but this one doesn't have any of the normal signs of a failure or a potential failure.

Also I used other software on it as well as the maunfacturers software in order to look for a fault. Also the drive works fine when safe mode is on, which makes me suspect that it's a fault somewhere in Windows.

Unfortunately Machine Check Exception has hardly any documentation associated with it and the event log is clear except for that fault giving me very little to go on.

Also when I tried to uninstall a piece of software using Add/Remove which has nothing to do with the hard drive I also got the BSOD but all other software seems to work fine.