Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System Upgrade

• Please log in to reply

El E Ot

El E Ot

• Pip
  • 5 posts
This is how my problem started;
Recently the price of the games I like to play came down and so did the price of the system upgrades that I think I need the most. So I change from a Gygibyte motherboard (Socket A) to a ASUS motherboard (Socket 939) and add some more RAM. I power on my PC and get an error about no active partition - so I check the forums and see that I can just re-install Windows XP to fix this problem. I try that and get the "asms" error - again I check the forums and see that there is a solution (which doesn't seem to work either). So I decide that I'll just make that HD a external so that I can get my info off of it and I'll just install my OS from the bottom up on a different HD. My XP is an upgrade from 98 SE so when I try to install 98 SE, I get memory errors and it shuts down. I got a laptop for my son that came with XP loaded and a Vista upgrade disk (he doesn't like Vista - so we didn't upgrade), so I tried installing that according to the install it twice method and get a "wrong version warning" for that activation code since it doesn't see a previous version of Windows. I have the previous versions- they just won't install or repair.
I'm screwed aren't I?

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Possibly, since 98se wasn't designed for that recent a machine. As for the memory errors, they may be cured by taking out most of the memory for the 98 install but! and it's a big but, 98se doesn't like machines that run faster than about 2ghz.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi El E Ot...

Try runnins a clean install of XP using the upgrade disk. You will be asked for a qualifying product, insert the Win98 disk when asked for it. You'll then be asked to insert the XP disk again and the installation should continue.

wannabe1

El E Ot

El E Ot

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thank you Tyger and wannabe1 for your advise and tips.

I went ahead and got a enclosure for my hard drive so I could get my info off of it and I got a full version of Vista. I'm having some problems with some of the applications for my motherboard and for my graphics (mostly extra features, the main drivers all work), hopefully Vista will push out some patches or a SP1 sometime soon.

Thanks again for your help.

El E Ot ((Elliott) was already taken) :)

El E Ot

El E Ot

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Well, my full version of "Vista Premium" came today - its a OEM version and the bundled hardware is the "Quick Start Guide". I"ve searched the forum for advise about OEM's, but haven't found anything about the OPK that is mentioned on the package. Do I need to enroll in the "Microsoft Patnership Program" in order to get the OPK, or is it even something I need to worry about? I don't build sysytems to make money; I build my own systems (mine, my brothers, and my sons) to save money (and to get the componets we want, not just the ones that someone has too many of) not to sell. So, my question is can I just do a clean install (enter my product key and go) - or do I need to register as a "System Builder" and get some sort of kit?

Thanks in advance.

El E Ot

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
The OPK (OEM Preinstallation Kit) is designed for those who are performing multiple deployments. You are not required to have this kit, nor should you need it for an installation to a single machine. You should be able to do a full installation using your OEM disk and the product key that came with it...without registering as a system builder.