Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

help!

• Please log in to reply

unearth203

unearth203

• PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
i got a blue screen of death it says stop 0x0000008e (0xc0000005 0xbfb1do28 oxef147918 0x00000000) vtdisp.dll-address bfb1do28 base at bfad5000, date stamp41b5ad4d i got this screen when i try to boot up world of war craft it was working fine before and now it brings this up right before the game finishes loading my charecter, i contacted compaq and they said it was my vid driver so i updated it that didnt work so i uninstalled then reinstalled and that didnt work, so i call them again and they gave me a program and it still didnt work, so i system restored and that didnt work but it brought up another msg (srtspl.sys- addeecda918) any ideas?

Advertisements

WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• PipPipPip
  • 324 posts
Hi unearth203.

From AUMHA.org:

0x0000008E: KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
(Click to consult the online MSDN article.)
A kernel mode program generated an exception which the error handler didn’t catch. These are nearly always hardware compatibility issues (which sometimes means a driver issue or a need for a BIOS upgrade).
“STOP 0x0000008e” Error Message During Windows XP Setup {KB 315335} Win XP
Games: “Stop” Error Message That References Nv4_disp.dll {KB 325730} Flight Simulator, other games (wth Nvidia-based video adapter)
Your Computer Stops Responding When You Use the Highlighter Feature & the Font Color Feature {KB 829578} Win XP

Here's an interesting read:
My Fix for the STOP: 0x0000008E

Here's another MS KB article:
http://support.micro....aspx/kb/903251

And finally:
http://support.micro...kb/330187/en-us

_

Edited by WinCrazy, 21 September 2007 - 06:14 PM.

unearth203

unearth203

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
those are interesting i think its a video driver conflict, so is there any website where i can download a videodriver that will work with wow i found a few but they didnt work

unearth203

unearth203

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
could a rootkit be the cauze

WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• PipPipPip
  • 324 posts
Yes, but rootkits are rare.
MS Rootkit Revealer - Download

Chances are much, much better that you could have a more conventional malware problem.

Malware Removal Tutorials

Bleeping Computer.com

GeeksToGo.com

Don't install "any" driver - install the driver from the company that manufactures the video chip - not the company that sells the video card. Your game is supposed to work with that driver, period. If available, try the previous driver release - perhaps it's more stabile.
_

Edited by WinCrazy, 22 September 2007 - 09:42 PM.

unearth203

unearth203

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
well i scanned with spyware detector and it say it was scanning a rootkit but didnt do any thing with it

WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• PipPipPip
  • 324 posts
This is the best Rootkit detector/remover there is. Hurry up! It will stop working on 2007-10-01. You have only 4 days to use it

F-Secure Blacklight Trial

Try these, too:

RootkitRevealer from Sysinternals.

Malicious Software Removal Tool from Microsoft

Rootkit Hook Analyzer

From http://www.pcsupport...om/rootkits.htm

Removing Rootkits

Removing rootkits presents two quite separate problems. The first is the removal of the rootkit itself. The second is the removal of the malware that the rootkit was stealthing.

Because rootkits work by changing the Windows operating itself, it may not be possible to remove the rootkit without causing Windows to become unstable or non-functioning.

Removing the malware hidden by the rootkit presents the normal problems of removing any malware. However you won't be able to do this until the rootkit is removed at which point the whole system may become unstable to the point that the malware can not be completely removed.

Restoring your drive from a drive image is another possibility providing you are sure the image was created before the rootkit infection and that your imaging program restores the boot sector on your disk.