Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

[SOLVED] Outlook Express attachement/file association problem

• Please log in to reply

luk79

luk79

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
HI my Outlook Express will not open Excel e-mail attachments. I do have Open Office Calc installed. I get "This file doesn't have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the Folder Options Control panel." But if this file is saved to disk it opens perfectly from there. Any suggestions how to open attachements directly from Outlook Express ?

Edited by luk79, 24 September 2007 - 01:46 AM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Generally its a bad idea to open anything directly from any email client such as Outlook Express because you run the risk of infection if you should open an email with an infected attachment.
You are generally advised to save the file to disk, then any virus scanner you have will scan it automatically and purge it if needs be.

luk79

luk79

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
[PROBLEM SOLVED] Neil, I know it's not wise to open it directly but it's not my idea but user's :) When it coes to viruses we use NOD32 with memory resident scanner, so i think it scans even directly opened files.

But now how we solved problem with attachments.
1. First reinstalled Open Office
2. Removed any references to .ods file type (using regedit)
3. right click on the file > open with > and associate it with scalc.exe

and it works for me :wave:

Edited by luk79, 24 September 2007 - 02:34 AM.