Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Security Center Won't Open!

• Please log in to reply

Russ B

Russ B

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
I've just gotten rid of this malware that was making me load hundreds of windows for "tprints.net/ads.html", and now that is sorted, I've noticed that when I try to run Windows Secruity Center, I get the following message;

An exception occured while trying to run "C:\WINDOWS\system32\shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL "C:\WINDOWS\system32\wscui.cpl",Security Center"

Can you help me out? And do you need any extra information?

Thanks ever so much;

Russ B.

Edited by Russ B, 24 September 2007 - 02:30 PM.

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Use this link to Kelly's Korner. Go to number 338, on the right side, double click and install the entry.

Russ B

Russ B

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hi Skeptic.

How, and where do I 'install' this? Apologies, I'm not a very experienced computer user.

Thanks for your help!

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
No problem. Just double click on Restore the Security Center Service. Click on "Run" in the box that opens up. The installation of the file into the correct place will be done automatically.

Russ B

Russ B

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
When I click the link, rather than being given the option to 'Run', I'm simply viewing it as a page of text.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Interesting. When I double click I get the options to run and save. Anyhow, if this doesn't work then you will need XP installation disk of the same version that is installed in your computer. If you have the original that's the best. If not, you may borrow one.

1: Insert the disk to drive. When windows show up click Exit. Click Start > Run. Type sfc /scannow and let the process run to the end, at which the dialog box will just disappear.

2: If still no good you may try xp repair installation. You can find a link to a good user guide in my list of programs below. Please note that you will have to download again all windows updates. Also, sometimes the process ends up with complications. Your data should not be affected but still, I recommend backing it up.

Russ B

Russ B

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Okay I tried your sfc /scannow thing, it got about a quarter way through, then asks me for some other CD, even thought I only have one?

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
What computer do you have (make and model)
Did you use the original installation cd.
What version of xp did you use (e. xp home edition service pack 2)
What version, exactly, does the computer to insert when it stops in mid-process.

Russ B

Russ B

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Use this link to Kelly's Korner. Go to number 338, on the right side, double click and install the entry.

Saved this file, opened it with Registry Editor, unfortunately it made no difference, it still doesn't open.

Answers to your questions;

How do I determine my Computer's Model? I know it's a Packard Bell :wave:

I didn't use the original disk, when we bought this we weren't given one, so this is one from a friend that works.

It doesn't have service pack 2 on it, it's just Windows XP Home Edition.

I don't understand this last question, sorry :)

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Sorry about the last question. Even I don't unserstand what I wrote. I meant to ask: When you run sfc /scannow and the computer stops midway, a dialig box opens and you are asked to insert another disk. Could you quote exactly the content of this dialog box?

Regarding the model of the computer: Don't you have anything written on the box? A sticker or something.

Edited by The Skeptic, 28 September 2007 - 02:48 PM.

Russ B

Russ B

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Okay, I just used the CD again.

I closed the window, ran sfc /scannow

A windows appears called "Windows File Protection", and tell me that Windows is verifying that all protected windows files are intact.

It gets about 1/5 way through, and says;

"Files that are required for Windows to run properly must be copied to the DLL Cache.

Insert your Windows XP Home Edition CD-Rom now."

If I clock More Information, it says that the possible reasons are;

- Inserted wrong CD (i.e. a different Windows product CD from the version installed)
- The CD-ROM drive in your system is not functioning.

Retry does nothing.

But what I did discover is that if I run the Windows CD again, and select "Install Windows XP", it tells me that the version currently on this computer is a more updated version of Windows than on the CD".

So, any ideas? Please? :)

P.S. You asked what the model of the computer is? Can you help me out on finding this?

Edited by Russ B, 21 October 2007 - 07:37 AM.

Russ B

Russ B

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
bump :)

Russ B

Russ B

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Please guys, help!

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Hello Russ_b,

I have noticed that you have not been to the malware forum.

I suggest you go to the Malware Forum and run all the steps located in the START HERE. These self-help tools will help you clean up 70% of problems on your own. If you are still having problems after doing the steps, then please post a HiJackThis Log in THAT forum. If you are unable to run and/or post a HJT log, then post that in your initial post in the topic you create in that forum.

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).