Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Adding my new laptop to my home network

• Please log in to reply

SharonMurray

SharonMurray

• PipPip
  • 47 posts
Can anybody help please?

I've just bought a new Toshiba laptop, done all the set up etc, and connected to my home network through the BT Voyager 2500V router. So far so good. I'm on the internet OK, because I'm adding this post using it. However I can't see my home PC or the shares on my Buffalo LinkStation. The Laptop can see the LinkStation, but won't open it to explore - it just wants to access it using Windows Media player.

The home PC is running Windows XP and the Laptop is running Windows Vista. They both appear to be on the same workgroup.

I'm at a loss to know what to do. The BT handbook says that if I want to add another PC to the router I should run the set up disk on the new PC. I haven't done this because when I set up my old (now defunct) laptop this way all it did was to install a whole load of Yahoo and BT software that I didn't want. Anyway, presumably, since I'm on the internet, I'm "on" the router.

Another problem is that when I originally set up the Buffalo Linkstation, I did it using the old laptop. Neither the home PC or my new laptop can access the configuration setting for the linkstation, although the home PC can access the shares as usual, without any problem. At some point I'll have to re-run the LInkStation set up I think, which may make the LinkStation shares visible to the laptop, but it won't help with seeing the PC.

I hope someone can help me out :)

Thank you,
Sharon

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Duplicate Post:

http://www.geekstogo...XP-t171780.html

Ron

VK.Jayy

VK.Jayy

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
sorry. :) ~DELETED~

Edited by .e n z O', 25 September 2007 - 07:39 AM.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Please do not hijack someone else's thread. You will delay help to both of you by doing so.

Ron