Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

The XP alternative for Vista PCs

• Please log in to reply

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Seems some companies are now offering XP as well as Vista, and yet I thought the XP license freeze was to start 31 dec, something seems odd to me then, thanks

http://news.zdnet.co...22-6209481.html

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
It looks handy for businesses who want to buy some new computers, but just want to integrate them into their current setup (if it's XP). I know that the ANZ bank is still running Windows 2000 Professional, so it's obviously a big job to upgrade every computer. It's just so a couple more computers can be integrated into the current setup of XP with as little stuffing around as possible. It says it's only available on Vista Business and Vista Ultimate, so home users are no go.

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
I am the computer support for a small company. We have an application we run that was developed in-house by a company we represent, and we have to use it for pricing and quotations. We even have a separate server onsite for it. It's not yet Vista-compatible, and they haven't offered a date as to when it will be. We really can't run the risk that a Vista machine will work on it. I've been able to still buy XP pre-loaded from Dell's small business unit, and intend to do so as long as possible. I can't afford to have a machine that doesn't run all of our applications. I figure that by the next time we need to buy some new machines, our applications will be updated, and I hope I'm not wrong. I have nothing against Vista at all, but companies just can't afford to have PCs that may not be compatible with other parts of their networks, such as printers or other hardware, applications, etc., and not everything was Vista-ready when it was launched.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
You could always just get a copy of vista they all have a trial period where you can use it without activation to try it, so get it get a machine you don't mind wiping for a few days then test out all your apps. From my experience Vista will work with pretty much anything that worked on XP especially the 32ith bit version. Vista on the whole seems to play nice other applications, 64 has driver changes but other than that its more than likely going to work, but that is what the trial period is for.