Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DVD burner

• Please log in to reply

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
I have a DVD/CD-RW drive and realized that I can not burn DVDs with it. So I was thinking I would just buy a DVD burner and have dual optical drives. I want to get a good DVD burner but I do not know what to get. I think I might get this SAMSUNG 20X DVD±R DVD Burner for $30 but I am not sure if it is good or not. I assume that 20X is better then 18X, right? If so, is it noticeable?

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi jackflash1991!

You shouldn't really notice a difference. I always suggest that you slow down burning speeds anyway, as it tends to produce more reliable burns. Just this morning I made my weekly backup to DVD, and I set it at 4x and it worked fine. I have had problems in the past running them at higher speeds, making errors and then the finished DVD would not be recognised. It also might help to point out that different manufacturer's seem to work better with different-branded media (blank DVD's), and even just a dodgy batch of DVD's can throw everything off-course. It's all out there... :wave:

I would also suggest making sure it's a SATA interface, if you can help it, as it will be easier to install and won't interfere with your in-case airflow like an IDE burner would.

Cheers :)

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
Well what about the read speeds? If I get a higher read speed will games play better or install things faster?

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
I would assume so... It sounds logical.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Technology on the read speed of optical drives capped out years ago. Before the logic was that you spin the disk faster to get a fast read. Eventually it got to the point where if the CD spins any faster it will impoad. Any CD drive you will buy today will have 40-48x read speed. You will not notice a difference between the two. Also rarely are files read off the CD during gameplay. The CD is more or less there as media protection rather than the game needing it to play.

Edited by Titan8990, 23 September 2007 - 12:44 PM.