Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Good software for creating A Forum?

• Please log in to reply

Charliee03

Charliee03

• PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
Iv heard about VBulletin, but there prices are a bit high I was wondering if there are any alternative progs to get me started. Im new to web development so I just want to give it a try. I want to have people register and have there own mini profiles ect.

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Check out phpNuke.

PHP-Nuke version 8.1 has been released. Preferences administration system has been totaly re-written and reorganized, added BB2Nuke forums 2.0.21, added AutoTheme GPL edition, several security fixes, added more variables check on few modules, fixed several bugs in Topics module, added referers in abridge or unabridge modes, added function to let administrators decide if the users can change the theme or not and many more. Purchase PHP-Nuke 8.1 now for only US$12.

That should be cheap enough. There are also thousands of modules you can add to this.

Ron

Edited by Major Payne, 23 September 2007 - 03:18 PM.

scozzard

scozzard

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Cant go wrong with phpbb (www.phpbb.com). I've made about 4 forums through this website. You get all the source code so you can modify functionality and look and feel to suit if required too.

The package comes with full easy to follow instructions too :)

thenotch

thenotch

• Retired Staff
  • 668 posts
PunBB, MyBB, phpBB2, SMF... The list goes on and on...

I personally like PunBB for it's lightweight, simplistic yet functional form and the fact it is easy to integrate into a CSS compliant website.

FidelGonzales

FidelGonzales

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
MY FAVORITES ARE:

Simple Machines Forum (SMF) - There are a number of excellent addon modules and my SMF forum have yet to be hacked.Templating is relatively easy and administration is relatively easy.

PHPBB - There are also a lot of addons for this very popular forum. I no longer use it as I have had several sites that were repeatedly hacked even with keeping up to date with the security release upgrades.

Joomla / Fireboard Forum - At this time, this is my favorite combination. Joomla is a highly extensible CMS and Fireboard is an easy-to-install native forum component that has come of age to my liking with a multitude of SMF-like admin configuration capabilities. Though, Fireboard is far easier to modify and administrate.

All the above are open source and therefor available at no cost. The easiest to setup, have running, modify and administrate for a beginner is probably SMF and/or Joomla/Fireboard. Joomla/Fireboard can probably provide you a better platform to work with should you desire other integrated scripts. Either way, though, SMF can also integrate with Joomla, though it is not as seemingless but is still the choice of the Joomla Core Team and the Joomla Forum site.

MY TOP PICKS IN ORDER OF FAVORITE - Mileage could vary. This is based upon my experience and current and projected requirements for most projects.

Joomla/Fireboard
SMF
PHPBB

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
I have a vBull board and an Invision board (like this one). Similar features and prices. IPB would be my first choice if I were going to start another board because it is a lot more admin-friendly than vBull. That is not so important when a forum is young and small, but it saves a lot of teeth gnashing and hair pulling when the board matures.
Johanna

FidelGonzales

FidelGonzales

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
I failed to mention those to. I have used both but to a lesser extent than the others. They are very robust options that serve as a comprehensive platforms. Thanks for the insight on IVB.

VinnyPanico

VinnyPanico

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Test it before you install it!!:

http://www.opensourcecms.com

It lets you try out the front end and back end of all of the open source web programs out there. and its free. it's pretty slick.

The Matt

The Matt

• PipPip
  • 63 posts
I recommend downloading PunBB (Free, http://www.punbb.org) and trying it. It is pretty basic but is does what you were wanting it to do.

In the PunBB forums, there are mod releases so you can change the look of PunBB. That is some of them. You can find a lot of them at PunRes (http://www.punres.org under their forums.

PunRes also has some stuff you may want to try in their Wiki section or their site.