Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Urgent Help on Windows xP

• Please log in to reply

qwerty123

qwerty123

• PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
Last night i did a fresh installation of Windows xp and i accidently Installed it on my Backup Drive so den i did the reinstallation again on my Local Drive so now whenever i turn on my computer it would keep asking me to choose a operating system to boot. I tried to Format my Backup Drive and it wouldn't work it keeps saying format incomplete or whatever, Could someone tell me how i can format my Backup Drive? I Tried to Remove the Operating System by Delete all the Files on the Backup Drive and now it's empty but theres still ALOT of space taken up. Please help

Also in my Device Manager PCI SIMPLE COMMUNICATION CONTROLLER HAS A YELLOW MARK ON IT. I need the Software to get it to work. Please Help!!

Advertisements

WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• PipPipPip
  • 324 posts
Hi qwerty123.

First, edit the file "boot.ini" to get rid of the "dual boot" screen at startup:

Control Panel > System > Advanced

In the "Startup and Recovery" box click the Settings button.

In the "System Startup" box click the Edit button.

Under "[operating systems]" there will be 2 entries: one for you local hard drive and one for the external drive.

Delete the line that does not start with "multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)".

Save and exit Notepad.

Reboot and see what happens.