Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Many strange symptoms

• Please log in to reply

Armentia

Armentia

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I've got various issues that have all suddenly started on my computer.

First off, I'm using a Dell Inspiron 1501 notebook

Various issues include;
-On startup, explorer is not running. I have to open task manager and new task it, but it stays on from there.
-Task manager LAGS. Under the user section, all the characters are boxes. Task manager is using nearly 200mb of memory and another 300 in virtual
-Things won't open. Mostly system related things. A good chunk of control panel things will not open. I can't view properties on my computer, etc.
-System restore throws an error when I attempt to restore to an earlier point. The error is thrown during the shutdown process, causing the system restore to not complete.
-Some things cause me to get the memory could not be "written" error. It's not related to movie files like in the sticky. One example is if I attempt to open notepad, it lags out for a few seconds, and then that error is thrown.
-During the startup process, a message appears saying that the battery could not be identified and will not be charged. The battery works fine and charges fine though.

I've done a scan with McAfee's stinger program, and it found nothing. Ad-aware found nothing. I run with no background antivirus and no firewall other than router hardware firewalls. I've had this laptop for over 9 months and not had a problem. I run ad-aware at least twice a month and it finds things very sparingly. I leave my laptop on for nearly all hours everyday. The only programs I leave running are uTorrent so that I can share my cousin's music and a program called Stealthbot which is just a chatbot for connecting to battle.net (online service for blizzard games).

If you need any more information, just ask. I'd rather avoid reformatting and starting with a fresh copy of windows, but I may anyways because I'll be getting a student copy of XP Pro from school, just in case I need it.

Advertisements

WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• PipPipPip
  • 324 posts
Hi Armentia.

Your PC is probably infected.

Are you running an anti-virus program ? Stinger only detects a limited number of malware types.

Follow this guide completely.

GeeksToGo Malware Removal Guide