Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Viewing mpeg1s on Windows ME

• Please log in to reply

ratfink

ratfink

• Pip
  • 2 posts
More fully, I am giving my friend concert footage that has been encoded as mpeg1 with mp3 audio. My OS is WinXP, but she has WinME (or 98, but I'm pretty sure it's ME). I used a program called Sherlock to find out what my video and audio decoders were and I'm using quartz.dll for the video and another DirectShow codec for the audio. I want to make sure she can view the mpegs, and from what I've been reading, quartz.dll was created for the purpose of viewing mpegs with MediaPlayer. I read the filelist for the release of DirectX 5.2 (Win98) and quartz.dll isn't listed. According to Wikipedia, the 7.1 release was for ME (I think that's what she has) but I can't find a filelist for it. Will giving her quartz.dll even ensure that she can see the movies anyway? If we assume that she has an earlier version of DirectX that never used quartz.dll, will it even be able to interface with the library? How should she install it? When did they start using DirectShow? Does this make sense? Do I need to worry about this at all? Can you help me?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
quartz.dll is part of DirectX and has been since version 7. DirectX9 is available from Windows Update and works happily on Windows 98SE and ME.

ratfink

ratfink

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks, that sounds like the best solution then, to just include a new version of DirectX. I was worried only the older versions of DirectX and quartz.dll would work with an old OS, but of course they would be making releases compatible with the older systems, duh. I'm almost certain her pc's never been connected to the web so all of the software and plugins, etc. are the original turn-of-the-century versions.