Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Prompting for Username and Password

• Please log in to reply

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
I have a user behind a vpn. They use outlook 2002 from their desktop. Due to policies I just changed their domain password. Now their outlook is prompting for a username and password. How do I change it so it does not prompt. As far as I know putting in a username and password doesnt make it go away.

Thanks

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Be sure the user has logged off/logged on. Network users will get that prompt if the password gets changed while the user is logged in.

If that doesn't fix it, please post back.

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
Thank you for the response.

Yes, I did a log off / log on with no change.

I rebooted the machine, also with no change.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
You can try removing the account and setting it back up, or adding a whole new mail profile on that machine.

If that doesn't work, look at Microsoft article 290684. Always use caution when editing the registry. Export the key before making any changes.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
does this user have the ability to log in to the domain NOT on VPN? like...are they able to bring their machine in and log in etc... then go back home?

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
I will try the account re-setup.

No the machine is not on the domain, inside the network.

Looking at the KB article it says:

When you connect to your Internet service provider (ISP) to retrieve messages from a Post Office Protocol 3 (POP3) server, your password is not retained even though you chose to save the password. Attempts to reenter the correct password fail to resolve the behavior.

I am connecting to an Exchange server with SMTP not an ISP with POP3.

Edited by jaxisland, 24 September 2007 - 12:02 PM.

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
Here is the update.

I went through the steps in Q321652 and KB290684 and Google Groups
None of those worked.

More details.
When I tried to create a new profile and add an Exchange mailbox it goes ok until you get to the screen to pick a server and a user, then it prompts me for that users credentials. I put them in and it goes ok. But everytime I try to open the new profile it prompts me, now the credentials work but I need to get rid of the prompting.

Also the existing profile thats there that I need to work is totally shot. No matter what I put it in wont let me do anything. I clicked Change Password and it says its unable to.

I really need some help on this one, thanks.