Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can you help please?

• Please log in to reply

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
You should look at the Nvidia chipset motherboards, the 650i or the 680i. In all honesty, though, SLI is very extreme for the price/performance ratio, you would be better off just upgrading in the future to a better card altogether.

Advertisements

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
SLI is overrated. It seems simple and a more cost efficient solution but it is not. To run in SLI you need to have a more expensive SLI board and a better PSU. Also when you go SLI you have to buy another of the same card, which is probably out of date when you buy it, meaning you will not get the new DirectX and you are stuck with two out of date cards. Also as said by Troy you do not get a 100% increase in power going SLI, but more games are starting to be more friendly with SLI technologies and that % is starting to rise. I would stick with the 8800 not going SLI and when more power is needed you sell it to a needy friend or on eBay. SLI is advertised towards the people low on cash but it is just not that cost efficient and is really only useful for the people with money to burn with 8800 Ultras and putting them in SLI mode to get the ultimate but totally useless gaming rigs.

Edited by jackflash1991, 25 September 2007 - 06:30 PM.

_PuRe_

_PuRe_

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
well while we here any ideas on good gaming cases out now? i want a big one thats good value for money also big enough or have water cooling brackets all ready in place.

Regards

PuRe

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
A gaming case? You should try looking at something like these options:

The Antec P180B is a very nice case and currently has an awesome Combo deal with the Antec True Power Trio 650W, which is an excellent PSU.

The Antec 900, one of the best gaming cases around. Also with some good Combo deals.

The Thermaltake Armor, with a good rebate brings it down near the Antecs in price, but possibly not as good as the Antec 900.

The Cooler Master CM 690 is a very nice case that is on the cheaper side, if the others are too expensive.

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
All good choices. Nice finding those cases Troy.
The Antec P180B looks pretty classy and it even has a separate compartment for the PSU, very neat idea but the Antec PSUs don't give off that much heat as most PSUs do, so it is not really needed.
The Antec 900 shows off your rig a little more with the side window and LED fans and has more fans to cool it down.
The Thermaltake Armor is my favorite with that bigass 250mm fan on the side of it and looks sexy
The Cooler Master CM 690 looks nice also.

Edited by jackflash1991, 26 September 2007 - 07:04 PM.