Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need Help ASAP Please. Bought new RDRAM - not working

• Please log in to reply

JillBlueJackW

JillBlueJackW

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Hi there. Thanks for stopping by to read my topic. I own a Dell Dimension 8250 computer. I've known for quite some time I needed more memory as I only have 256-2x128 mb of ram. We of course called around here in Winnipeg to find new or used ram and was shocked to find out how much it cost. After looking at online stores both here in CAnada and the USA, I found it was cheaper to buy it off of ebay.

I didn't just rush out and buy the first thing I saw. I read up in my manual, installed Everest software to double check what I had, and read many FAQ on the subject of RDRAM to make sure I was buying the right thing. The Everest report says:

Motherboard:
CPU Type Intel Pentium 4, 2400 MHz (18 x 133)
Motherboard Name Dell Dimension 8250
Motherboard Chipset Intel Tehama i850(E)
System Memory 256 MB (PC1066 RDRAM)

Also:
Memory Devices / RIMM1 ]

Memory Device Properties:
Form Factor RIMM
Type RDRAM
Type Detail RAMBUS
Size 128 MB
Speed 533 MHz
Total Width 16-bit
Data Width 16-bit
Device Locator RIMM1

I would have preferred to have bought PC1066 RDRAM because it is faster, but it also costs a lot more. Since not only my manual but many other sites I read up on (Rambus.com) says mixed pairs of PC1066 and PC800 modules all function as PC800 I thought I was ok. B4 I get to what is happening, here is the ebay auction #160152756843 The link to compolete auction is http://cgi.ebay.ca/w...t...N:IT&ih=006

I bought it September 2nd, guy lied and said he sent it Sept 7th even tho pkg says Sept 11th. Even tho it came from the US to canada it took over 3 weeks and didn't go thru our Canadian customs. I usually get stuff from USA within a week. Not only was I overcharged on S&H, which I don't usually care about, but the return policy of the qualityrams store states it has to be returned within 2 weeks of payment. Well it didn't come til after 3 weeks!

SO sorry this is taking so long, but here we go: My husband opened the computer, used Dust Off on it, then took out the dummy cards. (he's changed memory before) Then he put in the new memory cards which are BRAND NEW Samsung PC800 45ns 2x256 mb RDRAM.

Well, we got a message saying...."Unsupported memory was detected in slots Rim 3 & Rim 4. Please replace with RDRAM PC 800 40ns or faster. The system has been halted.

He was pretty mad. He took it out and put back the dummy cards. When the computer did nothing but beep, he phoned a computer tech friend of ours. He said he probably didn't push them in far enough, and he was right. Regarding the ram, he thought maybe our computer wouldnt slow down to the PC800, even tho from everything I've read it should. My husband took our the 1066 stuff in there already and just put in the new PC800 as well as the 2 dummy cards. We got the same error message except now it said it was in slots Rim 1 & 2.

I have emailed Quality rams but still have yet to hear back from them. I would like your advice and help on what to do. Did I not buy the right ram? My computer manual said I need to buy PC800 40ns or faster. Was I wrong in assuming that PC800-45ns was faster because 45 is more than 40? Half an hour ago I thought since my manual said PC1066-32ns is other kind of ram to buy I thought that implied a lower number of ns might be faster. But I know I read this ram was right for my Dell Dimension 8250 computer. Is there something I can do before I start arguing with this guy to return my ram?

Thanks so much in advance, Jill

Advertisements

Leurgy

Leurgy

• PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
Hello JillBlueJackw and welcome to Geeks to Go.

I'm sorry to say you seem to have purchased the wrong ram. I haven't had a lot of experience with RDRAM (your research was excellent and I commend you on your efforts) but I can tell you that ns is an abbreviation for nanoseconds. This measures the amount of time it takes a ram module to deliver a data request. Therefore, the lower the nanosecond speed, the faster. Your 45ns ram doesn't meet the 40ns criteria.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Two main problems here:

According to Dell and Crucial, your computer doesn't support ECC memory. You've bought ECC memory.
The other problem is, according to Dell, your model requires memory of a certain speed: PC800: 40 ns or faster. PC1066: 32 ns or faster

Also, according to Dell, your model (which comes in two types) only talks to PC1066 memory.

JillBlueJackW

JillBlueJackW

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Thanks so much to both of you for replying. I was kinda afraid of the 45 being slower than the 40 after seeing 1066-32ns in my manual. Then I heard after posting here from a chatter online who explained it meant a slower time. I heard back from the seller, and thankfully he is willing to give me a refund - less S&H I already paid and the S&H I'll have to pay to send it back, so I'm considering trying to sell it here first or exchange at a store before I reply.

He was pretty rude though and told me whoever said I could mix the two was an idiot. Well, I have a Dell Dimension 8250 manual and it says right in there that it will take mixed pairs of 800 and 1066 as well as many other websites and even computer techs I talked to, as well as the computer error screen which said to install PC800-40ns so I don't understand why my computer won't take the 800. I'm even more upset that if its true it wasn't stated in the manual, on Dell or in any of the websites I joined. How is a computer laymen person supposed to know all this, even after doing all this research. This has been so frustrating, time consuming and add to thta now expesnive, knowing how much I will lose on the ebay auction as well as the now huge cost of having to buy PC1066.

Anyway, thanks again for your responses. Jill