Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop XP CPU Usage/Slowness problem

• Please log in to reply

Jayshwa

Jayshwa

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
It's a Dell Latitude C400. I don't remember checking the task manager.

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
I don't know where the problem is but my opinion is that it's something that is related to the system not working well after warming up. My first suspicion goes to the video card. It's very possible that the video processor is faulty. Another possibility is the main cpu. Maybe the cpu itself or the cache memory act unstable when warming up.

It could be the battery or charger. Try to work wiithout the charger. Try to work with the charger alone.

It could be the ram. Try to run Microsoft memory diagnostic tool for at least two hours and see if there are any errors. (a link in my signature).

It could be the hard disk. Run a thorough test with the disk's manufactirer diagnostic tool (you have to create bootable CD to run it in DOS mode).

Practically it can be any chip or lead on the printed circuits (North/south chipset, busses, cmos, almost anything). If the battery/charger, ram, HD tests end without problems then you have a motherboard/cpu problem.