Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Components for PC with E6750 processor

• Please log in to reply

fani

fani

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
My PC died and need to build a new one.

Need to keep the cost at less than $400. Obviously, I will be salvaging everything I can from the old PC - includes the PSU 450W, OS (XP Pro), HDDs, case (Micro ATX), DVD Burner.

C2D E6750 Conroe seems to be the most cost effective processor around. Can somebody suggest suitable mobo (preferably with onboard graphics) and RAM for this?

PS : I dont game or OC.

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi fani!

If you don't game and just want onboard graphics, look for a motherboard using the G33 chipset. Something like this would fit the bill nicely.

RAM is going to have to be compatible with the motherboard I've just chosen, so we'll look at getting DDR2. Here's a nice example of a 1GB kit, which XP runs nicely with, or this example is for a 2GB kit, which would go better if you do lots of multi-tasking or heavy applications.

I might also suggest a new power supply, one of the most important aspects of a build. What is your current one?

fani

fani

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Hi FPVDriF6,

Thanks for the help. The only draback with this mobo seems to be the no. of SATA connectors available for any futur expansions.

I was actually considering these three mobos -

1. GIGABYTE GA-G33M-S2H LGA 775 Intel G33 HDMI Micro ATX
FSB 1333/1066
With VGA & HDMI

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813128063

2. ASUS P5K-VM LGA 775 Intel G33 uATX Intel
FSB 133/1066
With VGA

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813131187

3. Intel BOXDG33TLM LGA 775 Intel G33 Micro ATX Intel
1333/1066
VGA/ DVI

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813121315

How do these stack up ?? Yeah these cost about $20 more than the one you suggested.

The RAM you suggested is just great at current prices. I was thinking of going in for 2 GB and at the prices which OCZ is offering, it doesnt make sense to buy the 1GB !!! Very tempted to order it online right now!!!!! I can probably wait for a couple of days as the deal is valid till Oct 2 and see if I can get some combo deal with any other components I might decide to pick up.

The PSU I have is a MADDOG 430 W. Is that like scrapping the bottom of the barrel ??? This may be important, while deciding on the PSU - I have EIDE HDDs and DVD !!! No SATA here yet. However, the next upgrades in these sections would be SATA only.

Thanks for the inputs.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
I have not heard of MADDOG as a PSU manufacturer, so I would guess it's a generic. I would recommend that you upgrade to a quality-brand power supply - manufacturer's include Antec, Thermaltake, Silverstone, and a few others. The internal parts would be much higher quality, it would be running at a higher efficiency rating. I cannot find any information on the efficiency rating and the output specifications on the MADDOG webpage, which should be an absolute given when looking for PSU's.

fani

fani

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
I understand what you are saying about the PSU. Anyway, here's the webpage of the PSU - http://www.mdmm.com/...p?productid=154

Let me know what you think about the PSu and the alternate motherboards that I was considering please.

Thanks for all the inputs.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Well they do have a five-year warranty, so maybe just hang on to it for now and see if you can blow it up :)

As for the motherboards, any one of the three you chose would be good. I personally prefer Gigabyte- it does look slightly better in my eyes, but it comes down to your choice.

fani

fani

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Hi FPVDriF6,

Thanks for all the assistance. I have ordered these -

1. Processor - E6750 Conroe

2. ASUS P5K-VM LGA 775 Intel G33 uATX Intel

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813131187

3. OCZ 2 GB RAM kit - http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820227139

Cost works out to about $410 with a $40 mail-in-rebate for the RAM).

Will keep you posted on how the whole thing works. :)

Fani

Edited by fani, 30 September 2007 - 05:30 PM.

fani

fani

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Hi,

Have had ample opportunity to test the system. Here goes the list of observations -

1. System is good. Fast and dependable. Everything is very compatible. :)

2. CPU temps are cooooool at 25C / 77F at low loads. Havent seen them go beyond 30C / 86F on some loads. Hevnt done any serious load testing.

3. changed my computer case from mATX compatible to a ATX one and that reduced the CPU temps by about 6-10C. The temps mentioned at 2 above are with the new case.

4. Mobo temps (I believe this is the temp of the Chipset on the mobo) seems to be a bit high at 47C / 118 F. Checked with one of my best friends - search on google - this seems to be a problem with the P5 series of Asus mobos. potential problems include close placement of the sensor to the chipset. People have tried stuff like playing with the heatsink and replacing the thermal paste for the chipset with Arctic Silver. That has brought down the temps by about 6-8C.

Point 4 seems to be my only concern. So would definitely recommend the processor (its a devil, a likeable one) till Pynryne comes out.

Any help on reducing the mobo temp would be welcome. Dont ask me to replace the thermal paste on it (I burnt my previous processor while replacing the heatsink :) I got some external help with this build).

Fani

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
As it's a Micro ATX motherboard, I find they usually do run a bit hotter. I personally don't think that temperature is anything to worry about, though. Just make sure you have good airflow in the case, and it should be fine. Oh, and is this 47C on idle or under load? If it's 47 on idle, and it shoots up under load, we may need to take a closer look at it. Where are you getting the temperatures from? I find some programs can be a bit "optimistic", so try a variety - Speedfan, Everest Home Edition, as well as looking in the BIOS to get an average idea.

Thanks for letting us know everything is running well. I have just ordered the E6750 myself, with a Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3 motherboard and 2GB of GeIL RAM, so hopefully my system (when I get it going) will be nice like yours :)

fani

fani

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Hi Troy,

First of all I am in Florida. So maybe that has something to do with the high temps :)

The mobo temps climb to 47C slowly but definitely under no load conditions. The max I have seen are about 50-52C. As I said earlier, I havent done any stress testing of the system yet.

I have used the Asus supplied Probe II, Everest, Speed fan etc. etc.

Maybe, one curious fact I forgot to mention earlier, none of these progs pick up the chassiss fan speeds !!!!!!!

Best of luck with your system :)

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts

Maybe, one curious fact I forgot to mention earlier, none of these progs pick up the chassiss fan speeds !!!!!!!

If your fan is plugged directly into the PSU instead of the MOBO then there won't be any programs that will read it's speed.