Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

getting rid of java script

• Please log in to reply

premieji

premieji

• Pip
  • 1 posts
:) Hi - I know nothing about computers so need help. I have a slow boot-up acer laptop using Win XP (home use and email only - nothing fancy) and am trying to create more memory to speed up boot up times. I decided to delete programs that I do not use. I noticed a certain program "J2SE runtime environment 5.0 Update 10" and wondered what it was - it is using 125 MB which seems a lot, so if I don't need it, I would like to delete it. Is it safe to get rid of it - I don't write programs or programming scripts so why do I need this (I have already deleted the earlier version 5.0). Thanking you.

Advertisements

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
That allows java script files to be used in a web browser. You can delete it but when you come across a site that uses it, it will prompt you to download it.

What you can do is go to Start -> Run -> type "msconfig" without the quotes and hit enter.

click the startup tab

Scroll through the list until you see Java listed and uncheck it, then reboot.

That will take it out of the startup where its not needed. That way it will only come on when its needed.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
I wouldn't remove it myself. Microsoft has discontinued Java Virtual Machine, which they weren't keeping up to date in any case, so you could be without any kind of Java applications, which is very inconvenient now. You would be much better just to add some memory to your machine, it's very easy to do and not that expensive at this time.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
also...you're referencing "memory" incorrectly.....what you're cleaning up is hard drive space...which....on the whole doesn't effect boot time....the "memory" you're wanting to talk about is your RAM not your hard drive...the only way to increase that is to add more physical ram to your computer

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
My suggestion was not to uninstall, but to stop it from starting when it boots up. Saving a little RAM on bootup.