Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Temporary Internet Files Phantom Storage

• Please log in to reply

bionomics

bionomics

• Pip
  • 4 posts
After deleteing the TIF files (hidden files visible), nothing shows, but a Properties scan indicates nearly a half million files taking up 20% of my HDD space. What sort of storage warp have I fallen into - is this malware-caused, or something devious by Msoft (and is there a difference)?

This morning (while listing some eBay items), I got a warning that my C: drive was nearly full... and checking WE showed I had less than half a gig >.<. Alas, restarting changed nothing, and running ATF only released up about 5 GB. A little sleuthing showed that the TIF folder was a significant culprit, but WE shows nothing.

I'm prepared to start the process, but should I start with virus scanning, or are there other system scans that would be more effective?

Attached Thumbnails

• TIF_anamoly.gif

Edited by bionomics, 26 September 2007 - 02:01 PM.

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
First thing I would do is go into Folder Options and choose to show the hidden files and folders. Then explore in TIF and see what the folder name is and have a good look at the files and report back to this post. Then maybe we can have a good idea of what is happening.

bionomics

bionomics

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Actually, the screen shot you saw was with hidden files and folders showing. Really, WE informs me there's 10.7 GB of files without showing a thing :).

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
That image shows your Temporary Internet Files folder. You should run a Disk Cleanup, remove all old Restore Points, if any, and defraq your HD. Any files in the Temporary Internet Files folder can be deleted so use the Disk Clean Up tool.

Ron

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts

Actually, the screen shot you saw was with hidden files and folders showing. Really, WE informs me there's 10.7 GB of files without showing a thing .

Yes, but what is inside the TIF folder? There will be other folders containing files, which has the 10gb or so files, and what are the files? Until we know that we won't know why they are there and why they didn't delete.

Edited by Tyger, 26 September 2007 - 05:07 PM.

Mr Freeze

Mr Freeze

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
go back to folder options..in control panel
click on view
uncheck Display the contents of system Folders
And scroll down and make sure this box is unchecked
Hide protected operating systems
i did that when my temporary internet files wouldnt show
i also put dot in show hidden files
it worked ....

Edited by Mr Freeze, 27 September 2007 - 12:47 PM.

bionomics

bionomics

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Actually, the screen shot you saw was with hidden files and folders showing. Really, WE informs me there's 10.7 GB of files without showing a thing .

Yes, but what is inside the TIF folder? There will be other folders containing files, which has the 10gb or so files, and what are the files? Until we know that we won't know why they are there and why they didn't delete.

uncheck Display the contents of system Folders
And scroll down and make sure this box is unchecked
Hide protected operating systems
i did that when my temporary internet files wouldnt show
i also put dot in show hidden files

Ok, folks, let me take another run at this... refer to the screenshot above as needed.

As the screenshot shows, WE is showing nothing inside the TIF folder. Really. Nothing. A total blank on the right side of the screen where you'd see folders and files. The screenshot was taken after implementing the instructions ("uncheck Display...") above, as well as performing a Disk Cleanup (which reported only about 350MB in the TIF folder). I know I'm repeating myself, but you can see that there appears to be nothing - no folders, no files - inside the TIF folder, even with "Hide protected OS" unchecked and "Display the contents of system Folders" & "Show hidden files" checked. There's nothing to select and delete - according to WE.

But the Properties of the TIF folder (shown in the inset) reports many folders with a LOT of files.

Any idea why this might be?

What should be my next step?

** UPDATE**
Just ran CCleaner. Now only 15MB (3 files, 1 folder) remain - all still invisible. But this suggests a different approach: is Windows referring to other files that might exist elsewhere (say to the Admin) and are not made visible to me (notice in the screenshot that the TIF is under the Local Settings for user Morf)?

Anyway, I never did find those other files, but have recovered some 13GB HD space, so crisis averted for now. Please feel free to post your ideas and suggestions on what I ought to consider for follow-up. Bless the GtG site!

Edited by bionomics, 28 May 2008 - 08:32 PM.