Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Power button useless

• Please log in to reply

FUState

FUState

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
Okay... I was unable to check the battery because I don't have a voltmeter, but after taking it out and leaving it for a while... more than 15 mins... still no improvement.

I've ordered a new PSU, a new motherboard, and a new CPU, and as far as I know, if the CPU and mobo are compatible, I should be able to use my existing hard disks and dvd rw drives etc... and maybe even the ram sticks if they aren't fried too. Right? :)

So once they get here, I plug it all together, turn it on, and then I'm probably going to be good? Unless my power button still needs replacement...

Any advice on where to look or what I should do/be-aware-of before turning on my computer after I install the new stuff?

Oh... and I will probably need a new cpu fan too then? please advice and thanks for the help so far.

Advertisements

FUState

FUState

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
It is amazing how much you learn when things go wrong, provided you receive assistance as I have.

I ordered a mobo 939 and a 64 x2 4200 processor. I had a 64 3500+ processor, so I'm thinking the fan should be good, (and I may not even need to change out the processor, but it came with the board so I'm not complaining :wave:

I'm hoping (probably guessing more than anything) that the fan on the cpu will work even if the new cpu is a lil bigger.

If I'm wrong you would be awesome if you let me know :)

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
You still have the broken button which needs to be rectified. You can install a togle switch or something but that will probably look ugly. In such case I prefer to replace the entire box. A new box, psu included, cost where I live about 40 US$.

What you tell us about the cpu fan leaves it compatability and performance in doubt. It's a too important item and must fit the new parts perfectly.

When I reach a point where I have to replace so much hardware I check the price of a new computer compared to the replacement parts. The only part that I would consider keeping from your old system is the hard disk. You can move it to a new computer as a second HD and use it as extra storage space for backups etc. You could also consider moving the ram modules but since you are not sure about their condition, and since ram modules are so relatively cheap today, I would go for new ones.

For your consideration.

FUState

FUState

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
Aah :) I assumed the power button would be one of the easier things to get...
I have a spare case from a pc that was broken before... so I'm thinking it'll have enough room, I've already ordered the mobo and so on... so I'll check for a fan too right away to make sure that my new cpu lasts longer than 1 boot.
Maybe I'll buy a new case... my panels are really cool though :) sad to see them so useless. My PSU alone was 75$ though... cause I don't wanna get one that fries again right away.
Thanks for the heads up though I'm too hasty and have ordered stuff already :wave: at least now I can prepare/get additional parts to get done what I need.
Maybe I'll just take the button apart and make it a simply soft start button :/

FUState

FUState

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
As far as the fan goes,
I had a 939 socket mobo... and the new mobo is the same...
Is there more to consider for compatibility?

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
As long as the processor you've bought is socket 939 as well, it should be right.

You might need to double-check the RAM also, DDR and DDR2 are not compatible, so if you have DDR RAM and a DDR2-capable motherboard, you'll need new RAM.

FUState

FUState

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts

That beep code is a RAM issue. There is a possibility that is the problem but it still sounds to me like some kind of faulty PSU connector. I had a computer with a simular issue once and with the help of the forums I discovered that the molex to my case lights was missing a slot/wire. I never recieved any beep codes.

Do you have another computer you can get RAM from to test in your computer?

I've been thinking about this while waiting for my parts to arrive.

I have trouble believing that the psu caused my power button to fail, but the fact that the computer slowly got worse until it was finally just useless makes the psu a suspect for having caused other hardware to fail.

However, I almost have my new psu and my case has a lot of lights. If the lights' connections were causing an issue, would simply unplugging the lights from the mobo solve it?

Also, would turning on the computer after replacing only the faulty psu risk further damage if the mobo may be damaged?

FUState

FUState

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
Also, if I switch out the mobo... do I need to do other things first?

Talking with some people it sounds as though you can just remove your old drivers and reinstall the new ones after replacing the mobo.

Other people suggest that if you don't remove drivers for the old mobo's integrated devices, it can cause issues for your new mobo.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
You will need to get rid of the cipset installations from the previous motherboard in order to install the drivers for your new board. In many cases a repair installation of Windows will also be required.

FUState

FUState

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
Okay, I installed a new psu, new mobo and cpu.
I connected everything, and when I hit the power button the fans spin a lil bit... other than that, nothing happens.
I went through the http://www.fonerbooks.com/power.htm flowchart
I've studied my manual for the mobo... and disconnected everything from the mobo... and disconnected everything but the mobo from the psu... and same thing.
I'm a lil confused and don't know what to try next.
Please advice.

Advertisements

FUState

FUState

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
Oops, posted too fast, there was a fan that had a molex connector on it still :)
Now it powers on, even with all the drives connected :)

I wanted to get rid of the previous drivers that were installed before I put on the new mobo... but I couldn't get it to work at all ever... so I never got that done.

I'm reading through "How-to repair Windows XP, How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade" in your OS Forum now so hopefully that gets me through this debaucle.

FUState

FUState

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
This is still the same issue... sort of... I've gotten the hardware to work now anyway.

However, I am trying to avoid doing a windows reinstall.
I went into bios, configured the drives as raid... configured my raid drives... then I got to the point where I saw the boot menu... I thought I busted throught the maze... but nope... after selecting safe mode, it began loading the different windows files and restarted...

Now I do not know what to do... I can not find my XP 64 disk... although I have a bunch of XP 32 disks... I doubt that they would help me at all.
I think I'm to the point where I have to do a repair install, but now I don't even know where to find the disk :)
I'm going to browse through microsofts site some more... see if they have a dl and see if I can find it. If anyone knows the link to XP 64 dl please post.

Also, I will try to find the cd key as I believe finding it was posted in the "How-to repair Windows XP, How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade" in case I cannot find the XP 64 cd using the keyfinder page. I fear thought that because the key finder is an exe I won't be able to find it until I find a way to get into windows... at which point the key finder's use to me would be negated :)