Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer has power no boot up.

• Please log in to reply

z00ropa

z00ropa

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
Ok, yesterday turned my computer on, checked my email used the internet.. the standard stuff. Shut down the computer and went about my buisness.

Today, when I turned on the computer the screen remained blank, the light amber like it is getting no signal. I also noticed the HDD light staying on. So I truned the system off at the power supply, waited a few minutes and started the system back up. Now... when the power comes on normally there is a beep from the system then I get the mother board startup screen and then it goes through startup to Windows. This time when I turned it on there was no beep. The HDD drive light comes on and stays on, but it doesn't appear that the HDD is actually doing anything. All fans are working, DVD drives have power so I don't think this is power supply issue.

Any ideas? Has my motherboard died?

I have an Abit AN8 32X motherboard, I am not over clocking anything. System was working great 10 hours earlier. All system components are about a year old.

Help. :)

Advertisements

bmwboy

bmwboy

• PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
This does sound like what happened when my power supply failed; with mine, the screen showed no signal, and the hdd didn't boot, but everything else was running. Any chance you have a power supply you can swap out? If you don't your local geek store can swap all the parts to isolate the damage for ~20$

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
first guess would be to look at your motherboard..... you need to look at the small cans on the motherboard... they are the capacitors, you are looking for bulging/leaking.... if is not that the next thing to look at is power supply as said above.... If that doesn't fix the issue I'd say then disconnect everything except video and one stick of ram.... if no go then remove ram and video.... if you don't get beeps at that point it's probably the motherboard...