Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How do I install Linux Drivers?

• Please log in to reply

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
Ok hi everybody sorry I've been away. I'm really busy with school. Anyways, I had to install Suse 10.2 for our computer class so I could do work at home, therefore I did and now I need to know how to install my drivers like Network and Graphic Card. My internet doesn't work, could that be because i haven't installed my drivers? Also notice that I am very noob with linux and in fact all I know is that CD ../ takes you to the root. My specs are still the same and I think I have the right files but I don't know how to use them. For example I downloaded the ATI drivers for Linux and there is a file called "ati-driver-installer-8.40.4-x86.x86_64.run" and I downloaded the nForce driver called "NFORCE-Linux-x86-1.23.zip".

Please help me in the simplest way because I will get confused easily.

Thanks in advance

Soorena

Advertisements

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
Hello Soorena,

Most distros have very good autoconfig scripts for loading hardware. Making most drivers active is usually all it takes. I'm not familiar with Suse but I would think think there is some kind of network set up interface for configuring the network and devices.

Video drivers are another story. ATI drivers have to be built into a package that is installable to the OS. Installing instructions for Suse. There not that much different then the distros I've installed them on. I like ATI cards and hope that now that AMD/ATI have delivered the specs to Novel we will soon see better ATI performance in linux.

Please help me in the simplest way because I will get confused easily.

It may look confusing at first but take your time and go easy and it will all work out. A handy tip: You can use paste in most Terminal apps.

Edited by silverbeard, 28 September 2007 - 12:01 AM.

SOORENA

SOORENA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
Thanks for your help, but I read some how to guides and they said I should type sh and then the filename and the location so I did and I successfuly installed my ATI drivers and learned how to execute some files. But now my problem is the internet. I can't connect to the internet because I have my router going to my computer and I don't think linux recognizes it. Anyways can you tell me how to fix this? Is there like a Network Manager of some kind?

Thanks

Soorena

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
I don't know but I think Suse uses Yast to configure network connections. I've got it downloading now. I've decided to do away with my Ubuntu installs since they are to easily corrupted by other installs of Ubuntu. Besides I haven't tried Suse since 9.3. Look interesting.

SOORENA

SOORENA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
Great looking forward to hearing from you. Also I have set the option to DHCP and automatic which I read from a site on google, but still I have trouble with the internet. I didn't have trouble with Ubuntu when I had it though its just Suse thats doing this.

Soorena

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
Perhaps it has to do with the nforce chipset on the board you list. I always keep a few Realtech 8139x (10/100) NICs on hand just because I haven't found anything that won't load them with native drivers since win 98. Unless your on a 1000/mbs network it's more than fast enough for any internet connection outside of Japan or South Korea.

The reading I've done suggest Suse's kernel is not as generic as other distros. You may need to recompile the kernel to add the modules that will allow the drivers to load. You have a good grasp of the system specs and compiling a kernel isn't as hard as people think. Here is a link for compiling a new kernel for Suse.

Edited by silverbeard, 30 September 2007 - 03:35 AM.

SOORENA

SOORENA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
I went to the system information and I found something interesting. Here is the pic:

Posted Image

How do I enable this driver?

Thanks

Soorena

EDIT: By the way that website that you linked to doesn't work for some reason.

Edited by SOORENA, 29 September 2007 - 03:25 PM.

SOORENA

SOORENA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
Ok, fortunately I got the internet to work by installing the nForce drivers again, but now I restarted and I can't load the desktop anymore. I log in and then the loading thing comes and goes away and then its just a plain wallpaper that just stays forever. What's wrong and can I fix this?

Thanks

Soorena

Edited by SOORENA, 29 September 2007 - 04:34 PM.

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
What a horrible tracker for downloading. plenty of seeds and leechers just not able to connect to many peers. More than a day to download the .iso and now it hangs during the install at my network card and refuses to load further. Oh well.

Anyway I found

get to your "control center" and click "Network Card". Now, it should list your devices. no? well then you can stop reading. yes? yeah! click the one that looks like wired (e.g. mine has two one says PRO/wireless 2200BG so the other one I figured was wired) so, select your wired connection, click the "edit" button, goto the "general" tab and under "Device Activation" theres a dropdown menu, choose "On Cable Connection".

at Suseforums.net.

I fixed the broken link in my other post but http://www.linux.com/feature/118524

SOORENA

SOORENA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
Thanks alot for you help so far and I wish I could do the things you stated but I can't. I can't even load the environment to do anything. How can I restore in failsafe mode? Or any other ideas? By the way I dowloaded mine from ftp://mirrors.kernel.org/opensuse/distribution/10.2/iso/dvd/ which is faster and it has all the files.

Thanks

Soorena

SOORENA

SOORENA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
Sorry I was being impatient, Lol. Everything works fine for now. Thanks a lot for your help!

Soorena

SOORENA

SOORENA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
Unfortunately I have many other problems now. I thought everything was fine so first I tried to add my printer which got stuck at 60 percent every time, so I had to cancel that. Then I tried installing Beryl and I did but now the problems are:

1) The computer takes forever to load the environment
2) I cannot set beryl to be my Window Manager and I can only select Metacity, if I choose beryl it automatically chooses metacity
3) When I open the Terminal my computer goes into a DOS like environment and it asks me for my Login and Password
4) When I finally load the environment everything is lagging

What did I do that caused all this?

Thanks

Soorena

Edited by SOORENA, 30 September 2007 - 04:35 PM.