Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

FTP Port

• Please log in to reply

kharley

kharley

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
What is an FTP port and if it's giving me trouble how do I fix it. I ran a test to see if there were Winsock errors in windows but the error was unknown. I just want to know what it is and how to repair the problem.PLEASE help Thank you.

Advertisements

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
FTP stands for "File Transfer Protocol" and is used for uploading to a website (generally port 20)

Why did you run a winsock test? What exactly is the problem you are having with your computer? Maybe we can help you figure it out if you tell us what happened, and what steps you have taken so far to check into it.
Johanna

kharley

kharley

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
I dont know much about this kind of stuff but I have been trying to use a software program I downloaded for weeks now but it is being blocked somehow, it keeps telling me I have to be connected to the internet. I am on DSL so I am always connected. I dont remember who told me to do that test I have been getting all kinds of advice but nothing has worked. I have other problems but I have a post in hardware and several people have tried to help with those. The software I am trying to use is FilmLoop and it seems to work on everybodys computer but mine. My sister has it and it works fine for her, it's an excelent program for what I need to do with pictures and graphics. I am making a web page in memory of my son who passed away in janurary a year ago, and I have seen some of the stuff my sister has done with this program. With this software you can make what is called loops with your pictures and post them on the web, it also has all kinds of frames, templates and pretty stuff so you can create very special pictures and graphics, Thank you.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
The default ports for FTP are 20, for the client, and 21 for the server. You can go to a website than does a port scan and get a report on what ports are blocked. Have you added any firewalls or other software?