Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Refurbished Computers

• Please log in to reply

adkron

adkron

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
Hi,

This maybe an absurd question butTigerDirect.com is offering great prices on refurbished Gateway Dual Core computers. Is buying a refurbished computer a good idea or is it very risky?

Thanks,

adkron

Advertisements

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
I wouldn't call it risky. The life of that computer might not be as long as the life of a brand new computer.

Basically they take a used computer, clean the case off and refomat the hard drive. Viola, a refurbished computer.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
as long as it's refurbished by a reputable group and the product that's being refurbed wasn't junk to start with...everything should be fine...remember you get what you pay for though

i've ALWAYS concidered gateway to be the bottom of the heap as far as computer manufacturers..i've never liked their business practices and have had alot of issues with various gateway equipment....other people i know have never had a single product with them....so it's a hard decission

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
For me it would depend on the brand, and warranty. Im with dsenette about Gateway but sometimes refurb computers come with decent limited warranties. The better the gurantee they can give me that if something fails they fix it the better I feel about it. If they have a tailight warranty (where the warranty exists only as long as they see the tailights of the delivery truck driving away) then I would be more cautious.

adkron

adkron

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Hi everyone,

Thanks for your help. I'm still not sure what I am going to do but making sure there is some sort of warranty is a good idea.

adkron

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
FWIW, I've helped several people purchase and set up these refurbs from Tiger Direct, and no problems at all. TD stands behind their products, and has excellent customer service, in the unlikely event there is a problem.
Johanna

dnrflorence

dnrflorence

• PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
I agree with everything that I have read here. PRO - You are buying it from TD. They do stand behind their products. CON - It's a Gateway....bottom of the barrel. Maybe the two will balance out. I do a lot of business with Tiger and they do have excellent customer service. The rebates however are a much different story. I don't blame them though because that is all out sourced to an independant rebate company.

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
I think I buy from Tiger Direct at least something every week or more. Definitely TD isnt the problem.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
When I first looked at buying my own computer, there was a store selling refurbished "ex-government" computers. My uncle just said "Why do you want to buy a computer that has given someone else problems?"

So I bought a brand-new one, and I've had problems with it...

So if Tiger Direct stand behind their warranties, and the system itself is half-decent, you should be alright. And when you have problems outside of warranty, Geeks to Go! will give you half-price repairs, just because you asked nicely in this thread!

Free multiplied by half (0 x 0.5) = $0
*FPVDriF6 thinks it's a bargain...