Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Something trying to dial out.

• Please log in to reply

Picky

Picky

• PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
I have an HP computer and something is trying to dial out every so often. a box comes up giving me thirty seconds before it redials. I have the the phone line unplugged. I have went into msconfig and closed programs that look for updates and have checked the box in Internet properties never dial a connection. I have tried everything but it still pops up. We are using earth link dial up. Does anyone have a idea. thanks

Advertisements

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
Is it while your email is open or every time? Is it when you are connected to the internet?

Taking a stab here but go to Network and Internet connections in your control panel. Then go to internet options. Click on the tab that says connections. Click the option that says never dial up a connection.

since you do have dial-up I am unsure whether that will prevent you from ever dialing up. It has been so long since I have been on dial up that I can't be for sure. There may be something in your earthlink properties that is forcing you to dial up after you have been idle for awhile.

Picky

Picky

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
AS noted in my first message, I did check the box never dial up a connection. I am at a loss because I have disabled everything I know.Thanks

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
Yes, I read that, but when you said your phone line was unplugged, I was confused.

Does this happen when you are signed onto the internet or when you are signed off to the internet.

Does it occur when you have your email program open? if so, what email program do you use?

Picky

Picky

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
Sorry, This is happening every 5 minutes or so while I am disconected from the internet with no phone line plugged in. Thanks

Vaillant

Vaillant

• PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
Could be a dialer malware. Checked your computer for infections lately?

Picky

Picky

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
No infections. Running norton but have no input on the outbound settings within norton. Installed free zone alarm and it stopped the problem but never let me know what it was. I Removed Zone alarma dn rebooted and the problem never came back. That is strange. Thanks

Picky

Picky

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
IT is back. I really think it is norton live update trying to establish an connection.