Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New MOBO dead in the water?

• Please log in to reply

mers

mers

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Ok,

I went and bought a new case, mobo and CPU cooler

specs:

Pentium 4 2.8
MSI N1996 mobo
2 x 256 Hynix DDR ram
400W PSU
Deepcool Octopus cooler
1 x IDE HDD
1 x DVD-R drive

I went away and installed the mobo, plugged everything in, clicked the ON button for the first (scary time) and much to my dismay..

nothing.

Hmm, unplugged, replugged everything in. nothing. switched around the on button plugs on the JFP1 sockets, nothing.
pulled the power plugs (ON switch) from an old box, plugged them into JFP1, nothing.
tried another PSU, nothing.

when i say nothing: the Ethernet port shows power with a green LED flash when plugging in the PSU to the power point. click ON, nothing actually happens. no beeps, no fan spins, no wirrrs, silence.

so what im thinking now is the mobo has a problem where its not recognizing the power is being turned on but i dont know how i can test this.

so what im after is any advice anyone can offer as to which tests to run, anything else i can test to narrow down the problem.
i was also wondering if i could jumper the two 'power on/off' JFP1 sockets to simulate a power on.

of course, any help is GREATLY appreciated as im about to go crazy!

thanks guys.

Advertisements

mers

mers

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
righty-o

i tried unplugging everything again and left the CPU_FAN power socket on the mobo unplugged

stupid me, had the system fan plugged into a P(X) outlet of the PSU and the PSU plugged into the mobo

so effectively i was trying to send power to a plug which is made to extract power

well sorry if i wasted anyones brain cycles, admins feel free to close/delete this thread.

jtscustomcomputers

jtscustomcomputers

• PipPipPip
  • 176 posts
mers,

Have to laugh with you on this one. Sometimes when a problem seems unsolvable it is best to take a big jump backwards and look at the whole picture and sip on a hot coffee. I can remember to many times over the years where simple overlooks happened and I could sit back after and laugh at myself on them, that is how we all learn.

Regards