Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP Media Centre Edition 2005 - Won't let me change to a legit CD k

• Please log in to reply

Dominicc2003

Dominicc2003

• PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
Hey everyone, this is my problem:

A partition of my laptops harddrive went wrong and ended up with me losing everything on my hard drive - this included a norton ghost backup install of my windows XP media centre edition (was on another partition which was also ruined).
Since I didn't have an installation CD (the ghost partition was what Dell thought was necessary...), I borrowed a PIRATE CD from a friend (I have a windows key changer called "WinKeyFinder 1.70" so I thought I could re-register it to my legit key after install).

So I install XP Media Centre Edition 2005 on my laptop, restore the files that I had pre-backed up and opened WinKeyFinder. I entered my key, making sure that I didn't make any mistakes, and clicked "change key" - I just got an error which said I must have entered an invalid CD key. Maybe mine is just for OEM editions or something?

Anyway, I would like help which consists of me getting successfuly activated (preferrably using my legit key) without having to install a different version of XP Media centre...

PS My laptop is about 14 months old (a guess) and is a Dell Inspiron 6400. I live in the UK.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

Maybe mine is just for OEM editions or something?

that's the deal...the versions don't match..you'll need to contact dell and explain the problem and have them send you the dell recovery disks that match your system...or you'll have to go out and legally purchase a retail version of XP MCE

Dominicc2003

Dominicc2003

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Maybe mine is just for OEM editions or something?

that's the deal...the versions don't match..you'll need to contact dell and explain the problem and have them send you the dell recovery disks that match your system...or you'll have to go out and legally purchase a retail version of XP MCE

So there's no other workaround whatsoever?

Thanks for the info so far,
Dom

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
nope none....those are the only two options