Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account

CD/DVD drive not reading discs

• Please log in to reply

Guest_chazzye_*

Guest_chazzye_*
Hi, I usually fix my own computer problems and have been sucessful up until now. I hope somebody will be able to help me. My CD/DVD drive is not reading most discs. I have a Gateway running Windows XP. I'm unable to play my Sims games, music, etc. I get the msg: "no disc in drive E" or insert disc. I have contacted Gateway and they told me that my game disc was bad (music disc played for her). I tried to play another music disc, it didn't read it, I know that every disc I own can't be bad. I have also contacted the game help desk, and followed their instructions to the letter, still nothing. This computer is still under warranty until 2008. Can someone help me get back to my Sims?

Advertisements

Adrenalin

Adrenalin

• PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
i know that windows xp sometimes malfunctions and does not auto play the discs, try using this tool

http://www.softwarep...aydownload.html

hope it works :)

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
it's also possible that the drive is dirty or dying... you could try a lens cleaner( for cd/dvd players )

chazzye

chazzye

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
I've tried cleaning the lens, still does the same thing.

chazzye

chazzye

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
Tried using the tool, this is what it said:
Result: This AutoPlay setting cannot be fixed. Either the device is malfunctioning, or the wizard cannot determine the problem.
:)

chazzye

chazzye

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
I forgot to add that this system has crashed twice: 3/2/07 and 11/4/07, but I was able to recover my information and the drive worked after that also.

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
kind of sounds like a bad drive..... you could though try running system file checker (sfc at command prompt ) and see if it finds a corrupted file that is causing the problem.... note you will need your windows cd if it finds an error...

chazzye

chazzye

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
FYI
Thanks for all your help. The drive was bad, finally got a Gateway tech to admit, suggest, etc that the drive was bad and got it replaced. Works great now. :)

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
glad you got it sorted... especially since gateway fixed it for you