Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Common Startup Services

• Please log in to reply

Supadad

Supadad

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
I want to stop as many startup services as I can in XP. I in general, leave the AV and Firewall startups running but I know that there are other's that I can stop besides programs I recognize. ctfmon.exe is a service I always see yet I don't know what it is. Can someone please let me know what some common startup services are that may not be needed to speed up the login process. Thanks!

Advertisements

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Ctfmon.exe is the only startup program assigned by Windows. The only programs that you will want to be carefull about disabling are your chipset and video card drivers. You can get a program such as WinPatrol to give you a better visualization of what is going on. Keep in mind it's another startup program but it is very useful.

Click here to download WinPatrol

Edited by Titan8990, 02 October 2007 - 10:39 AM.

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
I also use CastleCops site to look up startup items that you dont know what they are.

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
Gotta love that WinPatrol! Will even disable itself from auto-startup!

Since this is such a common issue, and requires different configuration for each user, there is no single answer. Each user needs to determine what he needs to start with Windows, and which Services are required to accomplish the tasks that he demands of XP. To this end, I have posted what I have learned about controlling my processes on Vox:
http://doc1101.vox.com/

The "links" are not "live." Copy and paste the URLs to your browser address bar to view the referenced pages. No spyware, no ads, nothing to buy(or donate), just information. I have included references to several useful tools, and many informational sites to help gain control over processes and to establish system security against malware. Experienced users may find it all elementary, but it is a very good starting place for those who are just beginning their computer adventure with XP. (Ctfmon contol included.)

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
I agree, it is always one of the first programs I install on a new build. The only feature I don't like is that if you select "no" to not allow a program to run on startup (real-time) then it will close out the program as well.

Supadad

Supadad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
You guys are awesome! Thanks!