Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Security settings won't allow...

• Please log in to reply

mlwjackson

mlwjackson

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
For some time now I have not been able to download programs or do things like submit bids on ebay using IE 6.0.29. I get the message "your security settings do not allow this file to be downloaded". I have looked everywhere for the IE setting that is not allowing me to download but cannot locate it. I have lowered the security setting to medium but still cannot download.

Any suggestions on where to look to solve this problem?

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Were the setting you lowered in the Intranet Zone? It should, by default, be on Medium (low). Do you have the latest service pack for IE 6? How to Obtain the Latest Service Pack for Internet Explorer 6.

This may be the solution, but requires you to edit the registry:

The Tools | Internet Option | Security tab | Custom Level setting of the zones to low does not resolved the issue.
Resolution

Set the following registry keys to 0x00000000. When set to 0x00000003 the above error is caused.

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Zones]
"1807"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Zones\1]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Zones\2]

Always make a backup if you edit the registry. Do this as a last resort. If none of these keys are listed, then that isn't the problem.

Ron