Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problems with PC and New DVD Rom Drive! HELP

• Please log in to reply

djrazr

djrazr

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi everyone

I just received my new samsung dvd rom drive today and i tried installing it in my pc

In my pc i currently have a Toshiba dvdrom (1 slave) and a pioneer dvdrw burner (1 master)

I turned off the pc, disconnected the power cable and the wider cable away from the toshiba and plugged it into the samsung. I then started the pc, and my pc would not read the samsung. It just read the pioneer as 1 master.

I then shut off the pc again, and disconnected both wires from the pioneer, and turned on the pc. The pc then was able to read the samsung as 1 master. But then, the pc would just automatically shut off, when i did this after a minute or 2.

So now i'm confused and i know its something simple. I then wired back the pioneer. Pioneer went to 1 master, and pc could not find samsung. I went into BIOS and my IDE were already set to auto. I didnt make any changes. I can only see the pioneer in bios but not the samsung.

Am i suppose to change something in BIOS? The pc will not read both drives, when installed together, only the pioneer. When i had just the samsung wired, it would read it as 1 master in bios.

Please explain to me very detailed, because im not that pc smart and its easy to confuse me

Thanks

Advertisements

jtscustomcomputers

jtscustomcomputers

• PipPipPip
  • 176 posts
Be sure you set your jumper on your new drive to slave.

If you still have a problem after this change from auto to cable select.

Although I doubt it is problem since your other drive worked you may want to try changing out your cable. When you are done connecting drives double check in Bios that it is being connected and recognized. You may also want to try switching which drive is master vs. slave on cable to see if that changes anything.

Edited by jtscustomcomputers, 03 October 2007 - 07:13 PM.