Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can I use XP recovery disc from PB desktop onto a Dell laptop

• Please log in to reply

dollyd4

dollyd4

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
Hi all,

I am hoping this isn't a stupid question. My question is, I have XP home addittion OS on my Packard Bell desktop. My husband just bought a second hand Dell laptop with XP Professional OS. But the second hand laptop came with no recovery disks and the memory is half full. He would like to resore it to manufactures settings, to get rid of the rubbish that came with the laptop. So can I use my disks in his laptop to restore it back to manufacturer settings?

Thank you in advance to any and all that can help me. Many thanks
:)

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
nope! those recovery disks are ONLY for the machine they came with

dollyd4

dollyd4

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Ok, thanks for your help. One other problem I am having is that the laptop is not compressing the files already on the comp. I have made erval attempts at it but just sits there not doing anything, it gets to the first 2 bars with 7 hours remaing and seems to stop.

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
What do you mean when you say that the "Memory" is half full?

It may not be necessary to Re-install windows to get the new laptop working well.

Compression does take a long time. It is way too early in your attempt to "fix-up" the laptop to begin compressing files. Heck, you may not even want to keep many of those files, anyway. Just forget about 'compressing' for right now, and take just a few steps.

1. Run ATF cleaner. It requires no installation. Download, save to desktop, double click, select all, and Boom! tons of junk files gone. Free utility.
http://www.atribune....tent/view/19/2/

2. Go to Add/Remove Programs and dump everything you think you can possible live without. Uninstall all the Java, too. Later you can get the latest. Only need one.
This goes for toolbars as well. If you want one later get it then.

3. Get WinPatrol: http://www.winpatrol.com/ Once installed, right click the little scotty dog in the system tray and choose "Start-up info." Once open, click anything you don't want to auto-start once. This highlights the entry and activates the "Disable" button at the lower right. Push that, and that thing will no longer auto-start. It will still work fine when called manually.

4. Because some of the things in Taskmanager seem vey strange-sounding, get free Process Explorer: http://www.microsoft...ssexplorer.mspx Use it to help identify what is going on in the background. To help set it up to work effectively, read: http://www.5starsupp...?showtopic=8275

5. Create a new user account with Admistrative rights. Start logging in there. Make it your new home. Configure it the way you want. Everything will be fresh, so no left-overs will create confusion. Eventually, delete all the old accounts. Do not delete the ADMINISTRATOR account. (I am an Administrator on my system, but there is also a seperate account called "Administrator.") That belongs to the system and can be used when all else fails.

6. Since this is XP Pro, Start the Group Policy Editor. Open the start menu and select Run. Type this: gpedit.msc OK.
When this opens, there will be a "tree" on the left. Many entries will have a +sign.
Go through the whole thing, entry by entry. You want everything set to Not Configured. What this means is that Group Policy is not enforcing any rules for that particular function. XP default will apply, along with any changes that are able to be made by regular control panel changes. When you find a setting that is not set at "Not Configured," right click and choose Properties. Here you will find 3 choices: Enable/Disable/Not configured. Mark "Not Configured" and Apply. OK.

7. Unless you think that some of the files that came along with the machine might be useful, you can just delete them. Delete away. Have fun. Throw out the trash!
Do not delete things from Program Files. Those need to be removed by un-installing the programs. After un-installation, if associated files remain, then they can be deleted. When you're done, run ATF again.

8. Now defrag. Windows defrag is ok, but JkDefrag is better. Download the .zip file and open it up. All you need is JkDefrag.exe. Once again, no install. Just run it and wait til it is done. Not real pretty, but way effective. http://www.kessels.com/JkDefrag/

9. Now do a checkdisk procedure. Open My Computer, and right click the local drive. (usually C:\) Choose Properties, and then open the Tools tab. Push the Check Now button, and then mark both little boxes. Push Start. Windows will tell you that it can't start right now, do you want to do it at next boot? YES. Reboot, and please be patient while Windows checks the disc for problems and fixes whatever it can. If it can't 'fix' it, Windows will make a note to itself not to use that portion of the disk. When complete, Windows will boot normally.

I know you're looking for #10. Since you don't have a XP Pro CD, it is moot. Without the CD it will at some point likely become necessary to purchase one. Not a bad idea anyway. A 'full Retail XP CD' belongs to me. I can remove it from one system and put it on another. OEM versions belong to the machine upon which they were installed, and die with that machine.

For more about what I have learned, see my Vox: http://doc1101.vox.com/
The "links" are not "live." Copy and paste the URLs to your browser address bar to view the referenced pages.

If I can be of any further assistance, please just post back here.

dollyd4

dollyd4

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
WOW, :wave: I didn't realize there was so much I could do. Thank you for all your help, I will give this all a go. Many thanks for all the links too. :)

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
Just take it a step at a time. Soon you'll have that laptop just purring along.
If you haven't been to Vox yet, at least get the ERUNT very soon and put it to work for you on both computers. I won't boot without it!